What is the difference between the King James Bible, Catholic Bible, etc...?

I am curious to know because I was raised Catholic. Was I taught from a different bible? What is the King James version? What is the difference between the Old and New Testament? And what about the bibles in hotel rooms, what are they? Thank you.

Best Answer

The quality of the translation and the number of the books.

The New Testament canon of the Catholic Bible and the Protestant Bible are the same with 27 Books.

The difference in the Old Testaments actually goes back to the time before and during Christ’s life. At this time, there was no official Jewish canon of scripture.

The Jews in Egypt translated their choices of the Hebrew Scriptures into Greek in the second century before Christ. This translation of 46 books, called the Septuagint, had wide use in the Roman world because most Jews lived far from Palestine in Greek cities. Many of these Jews spoke only Greek.

The early Christian Church was born into this world. The Church, with its bilingual Jews and more and more Greek-speaking Gentiles, used the books of the Septuagint as its Bible. Remember the early Christians were just writing the documents what would become the New Testament.

After the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem, with increasing persecution from the Romans and competition from the fledgling Christian Church, the Jewish leaders came together and declared its official canon of Scripture, eliminating seven books from the Septuagint.

The books removed were Tobit, Judith, 1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees, Wisdom (of Solomon), Sirach, and Baruch. Parts of existing books were also removed including Psalm 151 (from Psalms), parts of the Book of Esther, Susanna (from Daniel as chapter 13), and Bel and the Dragon (from Daniel as chapter 14).

The Christian Church did not follow suit but kept all the books in the Septuagint. 46 + 27 = 73 Books total.

1500 years later, Protestants decided to keep the Catholic New Testament but change its Old Testament from the Catholic canon to the Jewish canon.

The books that were removed supported such things as

+ Prayers for the dead (Tobit 12:12; 2 Maccabees 12:39-45)

+ Purgatory (Wisdom 3:1-7)

+ Intercession of saints in heaven (2 Maccabees 15:14)

+ Intercession of angels (Tobit 12:12-15)

The books they dropped are sometimes called the Apocrypha.

Here is a Catholic Bible website: http://www.nccbuscc.org/nab/bible/

With love in Christ.

Catholic Bible Vs King James

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): difference king james bible catholic bible etc: https://biturl.im/kOopT

That's a really long story.

In early Christianity, there was no one decided-upon "bible." There were simply different scriptures being used by different churches, and some of those scriptures conflicted with each other. Later on, some Bishops got together and voted on which books should be included in a standardized "Bible" as an official canon. Not all Christian groups agreed with these Bishops, however, and some groups kept their own versions of the Bible instead.

Much later, as Protestant churches broke away from Catholicism, they dropped some of the books the Catholic Church considers scriptural because of various reasons. Keep in mind that at the time, translating the Bible into common languages that anybody literate could read was absolutely revolutionary, and prohibited by the Catholic Church. The many Protestant versions of the Bible that are available today are the result of different translation methods, some of which are rejected by others as being influenced by ideologies they don't like. Virtually all Bible translations have at least one group of people that objects to that particular translation for some reason or another.

This is a fascinating topic to research and if you are interested, I encourage you to read widely and from many perspectives about it.

Although I don't agree with the beliefs of the person who posted this video, the video itself is a lecture by a leading Bible scholar and is very informative. There is a sequence of 10 youtube videos which you can watch to see the entire lecture:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7cK3Ry_icJo

Youtube thumbnail

Pretty similar the translation are a bit different the major difference is that there are I think 8 books missing from the old testament of the King James Version

The King James has seven less books than the Catholic Bible because the protestants threw them out during the "reformation." Also, the KJV is translated within a certain dogmatic understanding.

The Gideon bibles in hotel rooms are also Protestant, missing those same seven books, and translated within a certain dogma.

Translation is tough. The oldest versions of NT writings we have are all in Hellenistic Greek, which is essentially a dead language and has no punctuation or capitalization at all. Except for Luke and Acts (written by Luke, the Greek doctor/historian) there is no reason to assume that any of the orginal works were written in Greek. Matthew was probably written in Hebrew. Mark, John, all of John's and Peter's epistles were surely written in Aramaic. Paul could have written in Greek but may have used Hebrew or maybe even the language of the people he was writing to.

The Catholic Church is the one that preserved all these writings and eventually translated them to Latin, the most universal language in the world at the time, and divided them into verses and sentences. This is not a perfect science, to be sure. I studied Hellenistic Greek in college so I could "read the NT in the oldest version possible." But it wasn't anything like I expected. One word might have six different meanings, and a lot depends on the syntax, the context, the conjugation, etc., plus one has to consider that any colloquialisms of the day may have been lost -- and the only way of knowing that is to read volumes and volumes and volumes of writings from the same time period until you have a "conversational" understanding of the language.

Anyhoo, that's why it's so easy for a group of people who have one understanding of things to come up with a translation that supports their views -- whether or not that's what the writer actually meant.

The difference between the Old Testament and the New is that all the OT books were written before Jesus came and all the NT ones were written after His Crucifixion, Resurrection and Ascension.

P.S. Sadie above is completely mistaken when she says the Catholics threw out the second commandment. That's a complete lie, and if she would have ever bothered to crack open a Catholic bible, she would see that "the graven images" part is in there. She also seems to fail to understand that the 10 commandments are not numbered in either her bible or ours -- the numbering is just a convenient way to memorize the rules. We Catholics put "I am the Lord thy God, Thou shalt have no other gods before me, and Thou shalt not create graven images" all together because they run to one theme, while we divide "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife" and "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's property" into the 9th & 10th because those are very different types of coveting. Protestants like Sadie divide "I am the Lord" and "No graven images" into the first and second and group the two different types of coveting into the tenth, but Scripture doesn't say either way is correct or incorrect.

• Wayne5 years agoReport

You are a good keeper of the Faith. As you know, no version of the Bible would exist today were it not for the Catholic bishops in council who canonized (listed) them under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Protestants curiously accept the Jewish OT canon authorized by those who reject Jesus!

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axLAO

Catholics include the apocrypha in their Bible and protestants do not. there could be other differences, but that's what difference i'm aware of. it is believed by Bible historians that the apocrypha is not the inspired word of God, and therefore it was not included in the protestant Bible. it is my understanding that the apocrypha is where Catholics get their beliefs in regard to purgatory, Mary's ascension, praying to saints, etc. that's why Catholics believe in those things and protestants do not--different Bibles.

• Mrs S.

The Catholic Bible contains the Apocrypha which is several additional books that are not included in Protestant's Bibles. The rest of the Bible is identical to the Protestant Bible. The King James Bible was the first English translation of the Bible. It is considered to be one of the most accurate translations of the original Hebrew and Greek, although the English language usuage is now a little archaic (it uses thees and thous). The Old Testament is the same as the Jewish Torah. The Christians did not change it in any way. In fact, in order for new translations to be done (such as the NASB version of the Bible, they went back to the original Hebrew and Greek, even consulting the Dead Sea Scrolls). The New Testament starts with the birth of Jesus. The Bibles in hotel rooms are Protestant Bibles--most likely King James versions.

One of the most common questions spouses ask when confronting a marriage crisis is this: How can I save my marriage if my partner doesn't want to help find a solution? How do I succeed I am trying to save my marriage on my own? Learn here https://tr.im/isYqb

It is a typical enough story: one partner leaves, the other stays. One remains 'in love', the other is uncertain. Whatever it is that has caused a couple to be apart, the one person who remains bears the prospect, fear, doubt, desire, hope of saving his or her marriage' alone.

...The "Catholic" bible is a "fair" attempt to translate Scripture... The K.J.V. is a "poor" translation as King James used his English scholars to translate Hebrew and Greek texts that in many cases are very difficult to properly translate.

...consider the "Complete Jewish Bible"...translated directly from the Hebrew and Greek text... it's available in any Christian Book store and in the Library of Congress catalog number 98-66344. Also the "Amplified Bible" is a good translation as it takes "difficult words" out as far as contemporary translation can take them... The Bibles in hotel rooms are usually the King James translation, places by the Gideons Society.