Why do people stretch in the morning the way they do?

when you wake up in the morning, how do you stretch? I've noticed in the morning when I do it I curl up my hands and put them behind my head and distort my body in almost a fetal position only forcing my tummy out instead of going inward. I understand the need to stretch your muscles after a good night sleep... show more when you wake up in the morning, how do you stretch? I've noticed in the morning when I do it I curl up my hands and put them behind my head and distort my body in almost a fetal position only forcing my tummy out instead of going inward. I understand the need to stretch your muscles after a good night sleep but is it the norm to curl up in a ball when you do it? It probably sounds like a wierd question but i'm curious as to how others stretch in the morning. My husband doesn't do it like I do, he stretches his arms out in front of him and does a basic back stretch. but my daughter on the other hand likes to do like me, she she bends her arms like me and curls her hands behind her neck and bends her back in like trying to fall backward on the bed, does that make sense? how do other people stretch in the morning?
Update: I appreciate all the great answers everyone. i was actually looking for answers as to HOW people stretch not really why, I love stretching in the am i think i do it wierd tho. thats basically what I was asking. I realize i didnt word my question quite the right way. but I have gotten a lot of great answers... show more I appreciate all the great answers everyone. i was actually looking for answers as to HOW people stretch not really why, I love stretching in the am i think i do it wierd tho. thats basically what I was asking. I realize i didnt word my question quite the right way. but I have gotten a lot of great answers anyway!! Keep em comin!!!