Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationHobbies & Crafts · 1 decade ago

When I knit on circular needles, my work seems to "swirl". Anybody know why?

Favorite Answer

Well, there are different answers depending on what is actually going on here.

When you say *swirl*, are you saying the yarn kinks up on itself as you work? That is a result of twist being added to the yarn as you go either by a combination of how you knit and the direction you wound your yarn into a ball. If you are moving the yarn in the direction it was plied in and the yarn twists further in that direction as you work, it kinks. To solve that put your yarn into a zip top plastic bag, close it up close to the ball and suspend it so the yarn can let the twist out. You will find yourself doing this periodically as you work.

If the needle cable still has it's kink in it from being in the package, wellllllllll, there are two things you can do. First you can ignore it, since the weight of your knitting will eventually keep this from happening, but when you finish this piece, warm the cable section only in hot water, steam from a tea kettle, or a hair dryer and pull it out straight until it is cool. Storing it without winding it up into a circle will help maintain it without a kink.

Also, sometimes our work will twist around the needle because we have more stitches than can easily be accommodated on the length of the cable, or the particular stitch pattern we are using. Again, the longer the piece becomes, the less of this twisting will happen because the weight of the project will pull it down below the needle. This can happen whether you are working in the round or flat.

The most devastating twist, however, for most knitters to discover is that when working in the round they have inadvertantly joined the ends with a twist in the cast on. There is only one point where you can fix this one without ripping out, and that's at the end of the first round where twisting the work straight isn't too noticeable. After that round, to make your inadvertant moebuius flat you have to rip it out back to the cast on and start over. A moebuis is where you have a half twist in the work. There are patterns where you want this, but preventing it when you don't means that you have to check the cast on before joining and make sure that none of the ruffling in the cast on actually goes all the way around the needle.

Source(s): I have been knitting for 53 years.

You know, this very question in itself is technically a violation of community guidelines. While I can see you are simply expressing your point of view, the manner, wording and tone in which you are expressing it is clearly geared towards inflaming and inciting others. If you have these concerns, and you're clearly not even asking a question more then ranting, (violation number 2) you need to be taking that up with YA and not on here. Saying what you are saying is nothing many don't already know and one of the biggest reasons I direct people to other forums where "voting" and popularity don't deter from actually sharing and gaining knowledge. This place, no matter how well the answers are put never accomplishes that as to the very things you've pointed out. If YA were truly interested in a system made to promote accurate information exchange, and not something made that everyone who's allowed on the internet without parental supervision can be an "expert", then they wouldn't even have a voting system, which I personally do not like. Voting is no way able to determine a best answer, it's simply an answer that's "popular" is all. I could just as well answer a question of "what color is the moon?" and say white, and have someone say blue, totally inaccurate, yet have 10,000,000 contact friends that will vote for him. My point there is, the votes can support every wrong answer as much as the right one and the whole system should be eliminated. While even an asker can pick what they WANT to hear vs what the truth is, at least it eliminates the vote hogs like you are saying. This isn't nothing I haven't already brought up in the main forum of yahoo itself but noone there wants to hear or believe in that anyways. That fact you are using a level 1 id, brand new leads me to think this isn't your main ID. I'm not going to state that as a fact, but when you say that "I have come here for answers. What I see is childish ego wars and people who know very little getting notoriety." and discover this "amazing secret" many have known a long time so fast, tells me you aren't new to this YA thing. While this place is far from perfect, I really dislike people that hide under a different ID to say or ask something they are afraid their higher ranked ID's would get penalized for. So once again, all any one individual can do is to simply answer what you know, and try. When that falls on deaf ears, trolls cause more disruptions to boost their overwheeming online ego's, and others just plain don't even know what they are talking about, there's really no reason not to direct an asker who clearly is looking for information, to a more professional forum that has live moderators to weed out the garbage and riff raff.

Most people have a dominant hand. As you knit you pull the knot tighter and it causes the work to "swirl". Try knitting looser by making a conscious effort to leave the knots loose or use a larger needle. Also try to lessen the "drag"; the tension you naturally put on the yarn.

I believe this is an interaction between the twist is the yarn or thread and the direction in which you wrap or scoop it in the knitting process, rather than a tension issue.

I experimented with this, varying the direction of the wrap/scoop and it *did* affect the tendency of stockinette to skew, one way minimizing the skew and the other way exagerating it. With yarn spun with the opposite twist, it worked the other way around.