promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

CHRISTIANS -- Was the rainbow mentioned in Genesis 9:12-16 the first rainbow to ever exist?

[12] And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: [13] I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. [14] Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, [15] I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. [16] Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth."

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesi...

24 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It must have been the first rain bow since it had not rained before.

God set this bow in the clouds which now formed after the cataclysm of the flood.

It would appear that the earth was enclosed by a kind of bubble of water that acted somewhat like a greenhouse in unifying the climate and increasing the pressure. This supported a different kind of life to that which we now know. The earth was all in one place and the sea the remainder. It may be that the conditions permitted of no bow through the diffusion of the sunlight through this water barrier. Perhaps the earth was also flat or relatively flat without dramatic variations with no waterfalls and therefore no bows through the miasma?

This "bubble" had burst and together with the waters which broke out from the deep, caused the flood, submerging the world. The mighty forces released caused gigantic upheavals resulting in the breaking up and formation of various land masses, continents and islands, with all the mountain ranges and canyons and various physical features that we know today, including the extremes of climate.

Surely the earth must have tottered during that cataclysmic change?

No room there for uniform development.

The earth emerged completely different.

Such evidences the wrath of God against sin for which reason He brought the flood.

Yet His mercy is shown through grace both through the supernatural preservation of Noah and in the sign set in the clouds for all to behold as a reminder both of judgement and of mercy.

Yet for all this man is returning to how he was before the flood.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

The first Biblical reference to a rainbow is in the account of the covenant God made with Noah and his offspring after the Flood survivors came out of the ark. (Ge 9:8-17; Isa 54:9, 10) This splendid sight of itself would have been reassuring and an indication of peace to Noah and his family. Many opinions have been offered as to whether this was the first time humans saw a rainbow. Some commentators have held that rainbows had been seen before and that God’s ‘giving’ the rainbow at this time was really a ‘giving’ of special meaning or significance to a previously existing phenomenon. Many of those holding this view believe that the Flood was only local or did not substantially change the atmosphere. Nevertheless, this is the first mention of a rainbow, and if a rainbow had been seen earlier, there would have been no real force in God’s making it an outstanding sign of his covenant. It would have been commonplace, and not a significant marker of a change, of something new. The Bible does not describe the degree of clarity of the atmosphere just prior to the Flood. But apparently atmospheric conditions were such that, until a change came about when “the floodgates of the heavens were opened” (Ge 7:11), no others before Noah and his family had seen a rainbow. Even today, atmospheric conditions affect whether a rainbow can be seen or not. The glory, beauty, and peacefulness of a rainbow that appears after a storm are drawn upon in Biblical descriptions of God and his throne. In Ezekiel’s vision of God, the prophet saw “something like the appearance of the bow that occurs in a cloud mass on the day of a pouring rain.” This emphasized “the glory of Jehovah.” (Eze 1:28) Similarly, John saw Jehovah’s throne of splendor, and ‘round about it there was a rainbow like an emerald in appearance.’ The restful emerald-green color of the rainbow would have suggested composure and serenity to John, and appropriately so since Jehovah is the master of every situation, a glorious Ruler. (Re 4:3) John also saw an angel with ‘a rainbow upon his head’ (Re 10:1), which may suggest that he was a special representative of “the God of peace.”—Php 4:9.

• 1 decade ago

Yes it is the first rainbow that ever existed. When God flooded the Earth it was the first time it had ever rained. Before that the water came up from the ground to produce streams and to water the plant life.

Is it not peculiar that the homosexual lifestyle choice would take a promise of God to not flood the whole Earth again to use as their symbol. I feel it goes to show the two powers of principals and principalities at work in society.

• 1 decade ago

good question. i believe so, because the bible said that He "set down" his bow over the earth. indicating that it was the first. the Hebrew word that is used there is very interesting. it means to renew. so my thought is this. i believe that there was such a thing to exist before. maybe it was only a couple colors, maybe it looked completely different. but for whatever reason, God "renewed" the rainbow, and made it th sign of His promise never o have a world wide flood again....

hope that helped.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It makes sense if you consider that the Bible mentions a firmament or canopy between the earth and the atmosphere-it could have consisted of ice or water,either way it would have blocked out harmful u.v. rays etc.

Once it collapsed during the flood the earth was exposed to the sun,one of the effects being the prism of light that shows up after rain.

• 1 decade ago

It is the first mention of a rainbow. Many believe it was the first one-because it had never rained before the flood.

If the canopy theory is true, then even if it had rained before, the sun could not shine through it to make the rainbow.

• 1 decade ago

From the construction of the sentence it seems that it was. Some people say that it never rained before the flood. If it never rained, there might not have been much of a rainbow. (though there can be a bow without rain). One of the many details we can't be totally sure about.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes it was the first rainbow,God put it in the sky to

remind us of his promise to never flood the earth again.

• 1 decade ago

yes after the world was flooded God promised to never destroy the world with water again. That is why He says when the world comes to an end it will be by fire and brimstone

Source(s): the bible
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The hardcores will say it Never Rained,,before the Great Flood,,so No Rainbows..

All moisture and dampness came from well springs and dewy dampness..giving nourishment to all plant life and trees..

Yeah Right ,,give me a freakin break..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.