How expensive and involved is piano restoration?

I own a Grinnell Brothers console piano purchased by my Grandmother in Detroit in 1963. The wood and keys are in beautiful condition, and the tone is very good. But the strings are brittle and the piano cannot be tuned anymore. Is it worth the time and money to have the piano restrung? How much does this cost, and how long does it take?

• j2
    Favorite Answer

if the piano has sentimental value yes. the strings and lariats are about $150-200 however its very labor intensive and that's the expensive part. I have a 1928 Richmond that I restrung and tuned myself however it took over 60 man hours

• Laura

Hm... probably not worth it. You can find decent used console pianos for less than $1000 that DON'T need to be restrung. This will probably cost you several hundred dollars.

YES it would pay you to have it restrung.The

same piano today would cost over three thousand.Contact a piano tuner and have him

look at it and give you a price.a piano store will

charge far to much.

just go 2 the store and fin out