Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

How do I get my instrumentals copywritten?

My friend says I can mail a cd with them on there along with a note describing what's on there to myself and don't open it. Will that work in my case?

How do I do it any other way, and what will it cost me?

2 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    No, that doesn't do it. So called "poor mans copyright" is legally meaningless in the US.

    As soon as you commit your music to a tangible medium - by recording it to CD, or by writing the score - it's copyright.

    For additional protection you can register the copyright at the US copyright office.


  • 1 decade ago

    if you recorded it on a cd, it is already copyrighted. mailing it is a waste of a perfectly good stamp.

    see and for details.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.