Easter or Passover?

Which Day Should Christians Observe?

Easter Is Not Christian

The original Church founded by Jesus Christ did not celebrate Easter! The early Christians understood that Easter was a pagan observance, and as such, condemned by God. Compton's Pictured Encyclopedia reveals the true origin of this holiday:

The name Easter comes from the ancient Anglo Saxon goddess of spring, Eostre or Ostara, in whose honor an annual spring festival was held. Some of our Easter customs have come from this and other pre-Christian spring festivals. (Vol 4 p. 140)

The goddess Eostre, or Ostara, is the Anglo Saxon equivalent of the Babylonian Ishtar and the Phoenician Astarte. The Wiccan website, Temple of the Dark Moon explains:

This festival is named after the Anglo-Saxon Goddess Eostre, also known in Old German as Ostara. Little is known about this Goddess except that Her festival was celebrated at the Spring Equinox, and became Easter. She was a Goddess of Fertility and was connected with hares and eggs. She may have been a Goddess of the Dawn. She may also be connected with the Greek Eos and the Roman Aurora, both Dawn Goddesses, and with the Babylonian Ishtar and Phoenician Astarte, both who are Love Goddesses.

The ceremony and symbols of Easter existed centuries before Jesus ever walked this earth. Further, we are told that the celebration comes from the worship of a pagan goddess, a false god!

Favorite Answer

until the last couple of years I celebrated Easter then when I began studying more deeply into God's word I realized what it stood for I now celebrate passover

Neither. First, I'm not a christian, so I don't care... Besides, they're both/all fictitious... Do more research!!! Start with the "Council of Nicea" (the first one all the way up to the 3rd). The first one, in 325, was when a bunch of old white wealthy (supposed religious) men got together for a couple of months to make up easter (which by the way is a pagan ritual/celebration), other so-called holidays/rituals and religious doctrine — like most of what's in (not in) the bible. Also, if you believe anything pagan is false that means anything "not" pagan is false as well. Pagan is an archaic and insulting western term/perspective. It's like saying/assuming something or a people are primitive because it/they don't (or won't) use electricity or western medicine but somehow they manage to live more harmoniously, longer and unencumbered without it.

Ever stop to notice how western words/concepts like pagan, primitive, heathen, barbaric, savage... are always/only applied by an outsider with little or no real understanding of the thing/people they fling these terms at; especially when they need to justify why they're about to conquer, destroy, enslave or co-opt that thing/people... How convenient.

Here's a counter question: Why doesn't jc (jesus) or any other religious character from christianity, the bible (or koran) NEVER appear in any other culture's (including europe's) historical, philosophical, religious, artistic...texts before the european renaissance? And yes, several cultures/civilizations were writing and had written text long before europeans... This was rhetorical. I really don't need/want to get any answers back because I know the answer and I because I don't care. Just thought you'd find it good point of reference and interesting.

Jesus did not found a church. He started a reform movement within Judaism. Christians were first called Christians about 50AD and the first churches were referred to as Christian Synagogues.

The date of Easter is determined by the Paschal full moon the extreme limits being 21st March and 25th April, In the early church two different computational methods were used. One at Alexandria and one at Rome and sometimes they gave different results. The origin of this is the Jewish festival of Passover which is celebrated on 14/15 Nisan which usually gives the same result. So it that sense the festival comes from our Jewish heritage.

Originally the festival to celebrate the resurrection was known as the 'Feast of Feasts' and emerges in the second century.

The English name may well have come as you describe - this was suggested by Bede in the eighth century so it is hardly earth shattering news.

Source(s): The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church W H C Frend - The rise of Christianity The study of Liturgy

Wow! We have never had a special Easter meal. I had never thought of that before... It should be something simple but joyous shouldn't it.. You have got me thinking, but nothing springs to mind. What I will be having is spit roasted chicken and I will be very grateful; for it after a morning spent cheering on the kids and lifting them in and out of the 'boats'. Happy and peaceful Easter/Passover to everyone. Lets hope we are one world-united. If only for a day!

It's only "Easter" in English (and "Ostern" in German). Everyone else calls it "Paska", "Pascua" or something similar. "Pascha" is based on "Pesach" (Hebrew for Passover). The Christian observance has roots in Passover but it commemorates an entirely Christian event. And although it roughly coincides with the Vernal Equinox, only the name of the pagan celebration has been adopted, not the substance. The symbols used by most people are not religious, any more than Santa Claus is.

The Christian Church always celebrated Easter as the Lord's Day and Resurrection Day ... and furthermore, it still celebrates each Sunday as the universal feast day of Christ and his glorious resurrection.

Once pagans are baptized, they cease to be pagans, and once pagan feasts have been replaced by feasts in honor of the one, true God, no paganism remains in them.

You are a seriously misguided and confused individual, with a retrograde theology that first came into vogue a little over two hundred and fifty years ago.

It was based exclusively on myths, falsehoods, and unfounded assumptions then, and it's never changed.

Believe whatever you choose, but please don't attempt to add to the already considerable confusion on this site with your outrageous myths and fables.

There was no such thing as Easter until AFTER Jesus died. Think about it - how COULD there have been?

JAMES 0 - sorry, you could not be more wrong. Passover has nothing to do with either Paganism or Christianity. It is PURELY the story of the Jewish exodus from Egypt - a crucial event in Jewish history.

Passover and Pascha(Easter)go together. In the Romance languages they are basically the same word.

"Christ our passover(Pesach) is sacrificed for us;then,let us keep the feast."

Should we change the names of the week in English and other Germanic and many Romance languages(Portuguese is an exception) because the days of the week are named after pagan gods as are the planets?

Also, Passover and most of the other Bible celebrations,rituals,observances and art are borrowed from the pagan. If Christians got rid of all that could be of pagan origin or parallel, there would;d not be much of the Bible left.

Happy New Year!

As I understand it Passover happened on the Sunday preceding the Crucifixion on Friday, with Jesus rising on Sunday, the 3rd day. I celebrate Easter as a Christian, as I do Christmas, not because the church borrowed the day from pagan celebrations, but because of what it stands for in my faith. For me, it's all about Jesus.

• Aravah

Hey, a Christian that know at least ONE of their holidays is pagan (psst - so is Christmas).

Sorry, your religion may say Eostre is a false deity - others think she's great and we love the celebration of spring with rabbits, colored eggs and holidays with May Poles and love.