Does anyone live around Indianapolis, IN??

My family and I are relocating to the Indy area, and I wanted to know which area I should be looking into. I want somewhere safe and not way out of budget, but still close enough to some attractions and/or places to work. It doesn't have to be IN Indy, just close to it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I want to be clse, but still be rural. I have horses, dogs, and cats, along with 3 children. So, I don't want to be too close to neighbors!!! All of your answers are greatly appricated!!!!!

Favorite Answer

If you live in Fishers/Carmel/West Field area, they will freak out about horses. That's where all the "rich" people live.

If you want something rural, I would stick with Plainfield, Brownsburg, Avon (maybe the outskirts), Mooresville, Martinsville, Danville....

Plainfield is an up-in-coming area and they just built a mall there (Metropolis). They have Walmart, Target, and many restraunts.

Mooresville will be the cheapest of the list and you can be downtown in 25 (or less) minutes. Mooresville has a meijer's, lowes, menards and is currently building a walmart. You can shop in Plainfield is less than 10-15mins if need-be.

Martinsville is further out from Mooresville, and is much more rural setting. It will take you 45mins to get downtown.

Brownsburg will take you 25 mins to get to downtown. Brownsburg is more pricey, too.

Danville is further out than Brownsburg and is more affordable. It is more rural, similar to Martinsville. It will take you 30-45mins to get downtown.

If you want rural you need to be a little more out of the city. Nobelsville area, Westfield, Zionsville, Anderson- still somewhat close to downtown. Even Shelbyville you might like. North of Indy does seem to have better reputation. Good schools, etc. I've lived in Carmel for about a year. Moved here from Hollywood. It is very very very quiet and easy.

For rural living, check out Brown County, located 2 counties south of Indy.

It's a very well known tourist destination, but the crowds are only really bad on fall weekends when the leaves change. Leaf viewing is unbelievably popular there and a large state park is also there.

It's also an artist mecca, being home to many, many creative types; painters, sculptors, musicians, etc.

Just west of this county is the home of Indiana University in Bloomington. Major college sports, concerts, lectures, and restaurants are all here, not to mention the intellectual stimulation a major college brings.

The largest fresh water body in Indiana is here too, Lake Monroe. If you like being on the water, you'll love it!

Just east of Brown County is a town very famous for architecture and as the home of Cummins Engine Company, Columbus.

Trust me. Living outside of the immediate Indy area is much cheaper!

Fishers is a nice area. It's a good suburban town, and about 30 minutes from downtown Indy. Carmel is a nice area too, but it's kind of expensive to live there.

If you're talking about an actual rural area, you might consider moving to Anderson, Pendleton, or Chesterfield. They're a bit farther from the city (about 20 miles north), but they're also more secluded and quieter. Be advised that there's not a whole lot of entertainment in these towns; you have to drive to Indy if you actually want to do anything.

Yes, I've lived here for one year and I've been visiting since I was a youngster (so about 20 years). Stick with the northside, near Castleton or Keystone. Those are the nicer neighborhoods. If you want something more suburban, look into Fishers or Carmel. The west side of town (Speedway) is so-so...if you love the Indy 500, I'd say go there, but it's kind of trashy. South side of town is pretty rural/industrial. Downtown is awesome at night, but I wouldn't recommend living there, because there are a few areas surrounding downtown that are a little ghetto. Avoid the eastside (anywhere between Meridian street and I-465). It's like a third-world country over there. Broad Ripple is my favorite neighborhood, but it's an eclectic, hippie-ridden area, so that's not for everyone. It's more for the college-age or fresh-out-of-college age, younger folks. Hope this all helps!

Source(s): Lived here for a year...but, um...I'm going to be leaving in the next year or two. ;)

Greenwood, Brownsburg, Avon and Plainfield are all nice areas. You'll find lots of shopping, good restaurants, etc in these areas. Carmel, Fishers and Noblesville are nice also, but you're going to pay far more for the same house there.

Stay "outside" of I-465 (it makes a circle around the city...the better areas are outside of this circle).

Check into the taxes if you're planning on buying...some of the areas had big taxes increases this past year.

Fishers sounds perfect for you. There are great schools, nice parks, and it's a very safe area. I've heard about a total of two major crimes since I've moved here--about five or six years ago. Lots of things to do, and it's one of the fastest growing areas in Indiana.

Amieret is on the right track there. Everyone on here always goes on and on about Carmel, Fishers and the rest of Hamilton County. But those are MUCH more expensive, and you specifically asked for cheaper.

Also, how far out from Indy are you willing to look? Because there are nice communities in the ring just outside the ring everyone always mentions.

Definitely stay in the northeast/fishers area. I live on the Northeast side, and work in fishers. by the way, Fishers was given an award recently for being so safe and crime free.

i would also recommend this website. I used it when I moved to Indy. you can look up recent crimes in the area you're looking to move to.

http://imaps.indygov.org/cvc/

Source(s): I live in Indy.

HALMILTON COUNTY!!!! its like one county north of indianapolis like the highest up town is like 45 minutes away from indy and my parents used to live in speedway although it gets very loud there....lol