what is the advantages and disadvantages of living in the city and country?

what is the advantages and disadvantages of living in the city?

what is the advantages and disadvantages of living in the country?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • DR V
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Growing up in the country can give you immunity to allergens.

Quiet, less stress, more room to play in the country.

Less crime in the country.

Disadvantages of country: need a car, long commutes sometimes

Advantages of city: stimulation, more interaction with people, easier access to culture

Disadvantages: crime, pollution, noise

Source(s): lived in both
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

city-exciting,youthful, energy

country-slow, quiet, contemplative

I live in the country now on a farm and i have moments when I miss the culture and electricity of a big city. But what is ideal is when i take trips to the cities via plane or car, I am even more excited to be there. I think coming home to nature is the best way to live...no one intrudes on my free time and it is truly paradise out here (as long as you have high-speed internet)

• 1 decade ago

City advantage: access to stores and entertainment, it's easier to have a phone, cable, Internet. Sewage and garbage pick up

Country advantage: peace and quiet, no neighbors with loud radios, no traffic, you can see the stars

• 1 decade ago

I think it is better to live in the country than the city. I think living in the country has far more advantages than cities. Living in the country, under today's conditions, brings equal (or more) economic and social opportunities as cities do; living in the country means less stress from environment and work pressure, better health and education services and an increased level of safety.

It is only natural for us to live in the country. God created a Garden of Eden for humanity to dwell in, as stated in the Bible, but surprisingly, somehow we left the Garden and left our natural home to form 'civilizations' in cities, which have a cultural and economic significance that sets it apart from other types of other forms of human habitation. Although Aristotle had argued that 'I am the lover of knowledge, and the men who dwell in the city are my teachers', as more people huddle into cities in hordes and droves all around the world, the situation is getting closer to 'mobs of great cities add just so much to the support of pure government as sores do to the strength of human body', just like the observation Thomas Jefferson made two centuries ago. There are always simply too much people in the city, until we cannot have a say of not only what we say and believe, but also what we even wish for and do. We are most probably not allowed to be ourselves in the city, we must follow the Joneses and whatever other close next-door neighbors.

Living in cities depend on the economic opportunities that the city offers to its inhabitants. Living in cities depend on money and other monetary means, which is used to buy food, shelter, light, water and other basic necessities. Living in cities will mean no guarantee in ensuring survival, there is almost no (if any) land to rear his or her own crops on in cities. Everything depends on the employment of the workers, which is getting more irregular and unstable. However, living in the country, one can grow his or her own food, cut his or her firewood, build his or her own house and spin his or her own clothes, for free. If he or she does not want to do everything above himself, he can buy the basic necessities at a much lower price, with a prevalent lower cost of living in the country.

Cities, being cradles of civilizations, are also centers of culture and economic activity traditionally. Cities used to be the only places where information can be transmitted freely, so that there is a huge advantage in having more business contacts and trading in city businesspeople over those living in the country; as well as more learned people in the city than in the country. However, with the advent of technology, there is not much of a difference living in the city or the country. Information can be transmitted all over the world in a short time. There is equal opportunities for all to be inspired and make business deals or be enlightened everywhere. Is there really a need to congregate together to live a better life, like the Agricultural and Industrial Eras, in this Post-Industrial Era? I do not think this is necessary now.

In fact, in today's world, cities have lost their attractiveness to the country. Living in cities mean that one have to meet thousands, and in many cases, millions of people, all who we do not know well. There are too many people with different characters to deal with in cities, in the end, those living in cities only trust their own selves. This results in intense competition amongst all city residents, to gain favor from their superiors and others to achieve a better standing. Coupled with water and air pollution from the concrete jungle, vehicle and industrial exhumes, food that is tampered with chemicals during transportation and processing, as well as huddled masses that congregate and spread germs and viruses all around; all these will be detrimental to our hopes for a longer, healthier life. Living in the country will reduce all these problems above - drastically.

With less competition, students will direct more attention to their books, doctors and nurses will also pay more attention to their patients; and everyone else will be more focused on their jobs. This results in better education and health services and this is desired in all communities around the world.

In addition, with less nightlife, slower pace of life and less attention to the latest crime bust or murder in the cities, coupled with more dedicated fire and police services that are more effective on the smaller communities in the country, there is less motivation for crime. All these result in a safer environment that is more fit for humans to live and thrive.

Take life easy. Make the most out of it. The country offers a better lifestyle than the city. I hope to live in the country sometime soon.

(The writer is a resident living in a city.)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.