Should i choose USA or Canada for study abroad!!?

ok so for ages i've been dead set on USA for study abroad because of the whole 'college life' thing. cheesy i know, but it sounds like a hoot!! eventhough i don't know many americans at all, the one or 2 i have met were really quite lovely. however, my parents are against USA because my sister went... show more ok so for ages i've been dead set on USA for study abroad because of the whole 'college life' thing. cheesy i know, but it sounds like a hoot!! eventhough i don't know many americans at all, the one or 2 i have met were really quite lovely. however, my parents are against USA because my sister went travelling there and didn't exactly have the best time. i have no doubt that my experience will be absolutely fantastic no matter where i go, but everyone i talk to says GO TO CANADA because the people are so lovely, scenery, etc etc (and most of them have actually been there). canada will also be a bit cheaper too, because of visa's and the preparation i have to go through to get it! (i live in australia) but i still like the idea of uni in america. is college in canada like the states? or is it not as upbeat? please help me choose where i should go, because i'm so confused!
Update: ok the uni i'd go to in the states is purdue university (cos its recommended for my degree and allows me to get in the running for a scholarship lol - and it looks great fun), and for canada, the recommended one for my degree (education) and possible scholarship is brock university. however if i don't want... show more ok the uni i'd go to in the states is purdue university (cos its recommended for my degree and allows me to get in the running for a scholarship lol - and it looks great fun), and for canada, the recommended one for my degree (education) and possible scholarship is brock university. however if i don't want to do the scholarship for the canadian uni's, then they're all one's so close to the US border anyway. over on the east side (near buffalo?)