Why do Americans refuse to adopt the Metric system?

The United States is the only country that doesn't use the metric system. Except for the Dollar, which has it. 100 cents equals one dollar. Why do Americans find the metric sytem too difficult to learn? Everybody can count from 1 to 100. Or not?

Best Answer

Back in the fifties many people were convinced that we would convert to the metric system, but one facet that held us back was architecture. The standard wall stud is placed in intervals of 16 inches exactly, making it easy to find studs to hammer into if they are placed correctly, however you convert that to metric and you get 0.4064 meters which can be difficult to measure. The majority of houses and buildings that are in the U.S. have existed for at least five years, it would be impossible to change the stud placements in every structure in America, and if this did not happen, then how would you ever know if your house had studs place on foot based or metric based intervals. This is not a small problem, knowing where the studs are are important in most wall operations more invasive than hanging up a picture frame.

Similar problems were foreseen with other types of infrastructure, such as bridges and road, plus in reference materials like maps.

It's a good idea to change it, but the costs needed to make it happen are way to high to be feasible.

• Ghian6 years agoReport

This is a fascinating but puzzling answer. What's a stud finder for then? And what about just knocking on the wall to test if there's something behind it or not?

I thought they tried to change it in the 70s (?), and people wouldn't cooperate, or it was too difficult to change, or something. Science classes use the metric system (so we learn it in school).

Metric system makes much more sense. But I suppose it's not really that big of a deal that we use our illogical system. Yes, I'm sure it will change eventually. We just haven't gotten to it, I guess.

Though the metric system would most likley be easier, a change is no longer realistic. Changing to the metric system will create an extended period of chaos and confusion, a period where we must adjust to the new ways. Besides, there is no major crisis over our current system; It has proven itself, as it has lasted over a century without significant problems. I think these are part of the reasons why many people do not want to make the change.

The metric system is to easy. Americans like to make things as hard on themselves as possible. Giving an example seems almost redundant... I'm sure you can think up a half hundred without my help. Psst- someone will say "it's to hard to convert it"... think, if you were ON the metric system you wouldn't HAVE to convert it!!!

they refuse to adopt it because they dont want to have to get used to a new system and change it around in the U.S they think it would be easyer just to stay were there at.

They were habituated ,SUDDENLY THEY CAN NOT ACCEPT cm. meters etc.Even the school kids are following

metric system

Source(s): A day will come when they stop feet , yards;and shift to Metric systems

i guess we're quite stubborn. It gets confusing and annoying always having to convert everything.

Because we americans are too lazy and stubborn to learn it.

I think its ridiculous that we refuse to though.

I have no idea. Honestly, it would be easier on everyone. But we seem set in our ways.

Good luck and God bless,

newsiesno1

because they are stupid, arrogant, self-center, selfish and idiot.