Should I join the marine corps reserves?

I am looking into joining the Marine Corps reserves. I am twenty years old and am in my second year of college. I plan on get my masters and then going to law school. I want to go into the FBI and I figure that I can get more experience and education in the marines rather than any other branch of the military. I could go into accounting or finance and that would keep me away from being deployed. I dont want to be deployed. I am also looking into the air force which is much easier, but not the same at all. If I went into the air force I would try and become an MP. Any advice on what I should do or a MOS that would keep me from being deployed in the Marines. Thanks.

If I do get deployed I will go and do my best to serve my country. I am not going in for the money at all. It is hard to explain in writing why I am going to join, but I am going to join. I would rather join the marines but because of family and other situations it looks like I am going to end up joining the air force.

And I want to go to law school, but I do not want to be a lawyer. The FBI likes agents that have a law degree, I am also learning russian. I might be a girl but I am not expecting to get served instead of serving. I plan on being deployed, doesnt mean I have to want to. I am just doing what I need to do to reach my goal in the end, not some desk job at the FBI but becoming an agent. I have done months of research on the military, most of it at military.com, but it is a serious decision and I wanted opinions.

Favorite Answer

Well, is not easy to join the Military now and not get deployed.

If you want to work on the FBI, the Marines will serve you much better. The Air Force will be okay.

Deployment?

One cousin in the army whose MOS was computers was deployed but never saw combat. He told me he only leaved the base every now and then for an hour.

Another cousin whose MOS was in the army also went to Iraq.

She told me that MP do not only protect the base but also drive people around the country.

Why would you get your mastr and go to Law School? Is it neccesary? NOt

In short, for FBI the military will be a great choice.

Get an MOS like accounting, technician, or something along those fields. Even if you get deployed, you be fine.

Marine Corp Reserves

• smiles

Semper Fi...go to website www.usmc.mil or google usmc which will give you a candy coated description of the corp. Remember the Reserves are different than the actual corp. Also, the pay is different. My son is a 2 term Marine. He re-enlisted for another 4 more years in Jan 2008. He loves it. He's going to Iraq in Feb 2008. He volunteered to go for his 3rd trip. He was suppose to go in 2007 but broke his ankle while training to go back to Iraq. Never underestimate the Marines. It's the lowest paying military branch but the proudest military branch. My son stays cause he feels comfortable at his position which is Corporal but will be Sergant next month. Actually, his rank should have been higher but his attitude got him into trouble so he lost a rank. His motto about staying in the Corp is cause he knows when his pay check will be in the bank as well as the amount. His work hours will always be the same. He's the boss and tells others what to do so he feels if he had a civilian job he wouldn't be able to do that plus he would have to start from the bottom to get into management or a better position. His MOS is logistic and landing gear specialist. His training would allow him to work with the FBI, Law Enforcement or the Airport. Unfortunately, as you don't want to go to Iraq but his highest training came from going to Iraq cuz he's been trained how to detect a terriosts and has all that special training needed in the FBI, CIA, etc departments. Now, for the financial part of it is not good cuz you get paid as if you were working on minimum wage unless you're married with dependants. Your life insurance if you were to die while serving the corp would be $450,000-$500,000. The only other benefit would be your pension and lRA/5K program. Your medical and dental would be free . Your taxes would be none. You get discounts from local merchants, VA loans and other loans. What I quoted is for the Marine Corp not the Reserves as they have a different outline. The Marine corp will candy coat it so you can join but you have to have the heart and patience to join. Not every person is equipped to be a Marine. Just make out your pros and cons before signing any paper. You can still attend college and be in the Reserves. Just talk to the USMC recuiter in your area. Ask any questions even about pay, college, requirements for the FBI, etc. Good luck...

Source(s): USMC mom for 4 years and 5 months. My son was in the USMC JRrotc program in high school in 2003. My son joined the corp Aug 17, 2003

Marines Reserves

What I'm going to say will probably shock and offend you but it is the truth as I see it. Take courage and read on.

No, you should not join the Marine Corps Reserve or any other branch of the service.

Sounds like you really don't want to go in the service at all. You seem to want everything your way and to give up very little to get it. I would not recommend any branch of the service to you. You will be miserable because the first time your unit got picked to do a job you did not like, you would howl and complain and get yourself in trouble. Being in the service is, as the name implies, about serving, not about being served.

Don't worry about an MOS or the USAF versus the USMC until your figure out where you stand on duty, honor and country. You may just want to go to law school. As a lawyer you'll have a lot more personal freedom and make a helluva lot more money. Don't even think about the level of sacrifice involved in being an FBI agent!

I don't mean to rock your little world but I have seen too many people enlist in the service and piss and moan for their entire enlistment. Think long and hard before you make this decision.

Having said that, each branch of the SERVICE offers something different. The Navy offers an adventure instead of just a job. The Army offers opportunity that you may never have had before. The Air Force offers education and lifestyle. The Marines offers a sense of belonging and asks you, "Why should I let you join my beloved Corps?"

Check out a site called military.com. There is a wealth of information there abut the armed forces.

Source(s): Career military man. Veteran of foreign wars to guarantee your freedom. Too old to go back in or I would, damn it!

If you are interested in an FBI career it is very important to decide what capacity you wish to train in to serve the FBI. From your question I can only assume you want to enter Internal Affairs as a lawyer.

The FBI is an Intelligence Agency, if you are pursuing a military path there you need to enter the Air Force or Army Reserve in a field such as communications. This will get you a fairly solid security clearance which will be instrumental in showing your ability to maintain confidentiality.

The Marine Reserves are more combat oriented and often deployed more frequently than other US troops. It appears that you are not interested in combat deployment, so they would definitely not be for you. By the way, accountants and financial personnel are often deployed.

On a more concerned note, it seems to me that you are using the military for your own private sector ambitions. Military personnel exist to be deployed, so trying to find a cushy desk job is a risky propostition at best.

You had me going until you begin explaining what you want to do so you don't get deployed. Marines are the first into combat.

Based on that alone. Stay a civilian. I retired from the Air Force and worked with many "college grads" who were in the service only to fulfill their parent's desires about serving their country. Most didn't want to be there to begin with.

But those who really joined to serve made the best leaders and officers. They would stand in front of a bullet just as easily as an enlisted person. If you have legal education, any one of the branches will grab you and you will be in the Legal field, period. There will not be any Personnel, Accounting & Finance or such. You will be serving in the Legal Office.

So until you change your attitude about "where could you serve so as not to get deployed", please do the rest of the comrade-in-arms a real favor and stay a civilian. We'll defend your right to do that. Otherwise, we'll have to put up with a poor and mostly inefficient leader who will dodge any and all assignments into combat zones. Not good.

No, you should not join any branch of the service. Deployment is something that comes with the territory. I'm not saying that everyone deploys, but that everyone needs to be prepared.

Security Forces is one of the most deployed career fields in the Air Force. My step son just returned from almost a year in Iraq. I happened to be deployed about 100 miles away and got back before he did. All career fields get sent, after all we're an expeditionary force!

I understand your trepidation. However, unless you're willing to commit to something greater than yourself - Don't call us, we'll call you!

Source(s): 26 years enlisted U.S. Air Force

Joining the reserves is as likely to land you in combat as joining active duty. Forget the military for now and get your degrees. Why on earth do you think the marines would be better than the air force. If you want to be in law enforcement apply to be a police officer.

I quote Sandra06:

Do not trust a recruiter, they will tell you anything they have to to get the numbers they need, and if you do not believe me ask anyone else who has ever been enlisted.

I enlisted and she is absolutely on the money.

US Navy

• Ego

The military sounds like a great way to get education and training to prepare you for the FBI or other government service. However, if you do not want to be deployed, then you shouldn't join. First, you can't enjoy the benefits of military service without fulfilling your commitment. Second, the U.S. military is actively engaged right now, most reservists have been called to duty, so it is likely you'll have to serve in one capacity or another.