Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Stoning disobedient children in the Bible?

Why does the Bible tell parents in Deuteronomy 21:18-21 to kill their disobedient children with stones?

"If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 They shall say to the elders, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard." 21 Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death."

I understand that this is the Old Testament, but then why do we follow the Ten Commandments? Does God's word become outdated? I also understand that the quote is out of context, but in what context would "kill your disobedient children with stones" be acceptable?

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=deuter...

Favorite Answer

This is one of those weird passages in the Old Testament. In my mind is reiterates what a jealous, callous god God is during this time. He is all judgment and punishment.

You forgot two key verses that end this passage:

"You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid."

Based on what I've learned getting my degree in Religious Studies this is what I would say about it:

God expects the Israelites to follow his commandments verbatim. If they don't, he gets very angry and could cast down severe punishment (war, famine, slavery, etc.) on to the sinners and the people who stood by and did nothing. So, that being said, I would guess that this verse is stating that even though this person is your son, he is and has been deliberately been "breaking the laws" so much that if you don't do something about it I (God) and going to do something much bigger than what you could do to him, and it will affect you all....AND because he's been such a little sinner, breaking laws, defying his parents, etc., he is no longer my follower, no longer an Israelite, and you (mother, believer) don't want to have anything to do with him...so get rid of him out of your presence so he ceases to influence others to his erring ways. Let him, your son, be the "sacrifice" to show all of Israel that they must revere and follow God.

A note here - when the verse ends with "all of Israel will be afraid" I had several Professors tell me that the real translation is more like "in awe of God" -so not necessarily afraid of him, but awe of him and his powers.

Anyways, that is my humble guess on it.

As far as following the ten commandments - Honestly, I think that these no longer apply, except that we should as humanity adhere to being upright moral people. This is why: In the New Testament we see Jesus stating over and over "I am the Way" - he says that people no longer need to follow the laws, HE is he new Law - HE is the new Israel. Jesus essentially says as long as you believe in salvation through his death and resurrection, then you will be with God.

Stoning In The Bible

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

"If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him...

Source(s): stoning disobedient children bible: https://shortly.im/huICO

I believe the command to stone the children was only for a limited period of time to teach people an important lesson. On second thoughts, maybe the children of today would be better off if the practice was continued today. Just wondering.

I think if you re a Christian you must believe everything said in the bible, you can t quote passages and ignore others.

Here s a crazy idea, how about using your own judgement and morals to decide whether something is right or wrong! Maybe start by questioning if the Earth really is 6000 years old and why god would put dinosaur bones down just to confuse people.

Deuteronomy 21 18-21

The Bible is simply an adult fairy tale. The first 5 books are clearly Jewish tribal lore - no documentation of anything or anyone exists outside of the Bible. It helps believers sleep at night.

• Susan

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axIwb

Literally and metaphorically, PIGS don't talk. I'm notorious for barbequeing PIGS. They are excellent after 6-8 hours @ 285F

I love this verse. It shows that us non christians aren't the crazy ones. I'm surprised there are any fundamentalists left.

If such an injunction was enforced today, we could dismantle the legal system and tear down the jails and prison houses tomorrow.

I think it shows how seriously God takes rebellion against authority and disobedience to parents.

Actually it is a matter of sooner or later with such a person.

If the parents don't do it first, the Law will end up doing it later, after others have suffered the consequences of the rebel's insubordination.

God's word does not become outdated. Here is the truth we need to understand.. God's Word was not written "to us." It was written "for us." So if God commanded Jonah to go to Nineveh, it doesn't mean he commands us all to go to Nineveh (as an example). The Bible is clear that we are all sinners, worthy of death. There is not a single one of us that does not deserved to get stoned. It would complete justice for everyone to die in their sins. The child was commanded to be killed as a result of sin, which deserves severe punishment. After Jesus Christ, we have his death on the cross that serves as a substitution.. so though we all deserve to die, he died so that we might live. Hope this makes sense.