Where does Thomas Paine's "The world is my country, to do good is my religion" originate?

"The world is my country, to do good is my religion"

I have found numerous variations on that which include "mankind is my brethren" but none of them give an exact source for it. I have seen it mentioned that it was his motto but other than that it seems to be something that no one can attribute to an exact source.

Thanks!

I had done a search of "Rights of Man" before with no success..this time i searched it only for "Country" and this is what I found...

In stating these matters, I speak an open and disinterested language, dictated by no passion but that of humanity. To me, who have not only refused offers, because I thought them improper, but have declined rewards I might with reputation have accepted, it is no wonder that meanness and imposition appear disgustful. Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.

Favorite Answer

A line written by Thomas Paine in his political work Rights of Man

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/6Xfpp

The phrase third world country derives from the previous states of the known world 1 the old world, essentially the Europe prior to Columbus to which was added 2.the New world of the Americas even if he may nit have been the first European there. To this is added the phrase third world meaning new lands not inluded in the above. It has however come to mean any undeveloped land in poor financial status. I hope this is helpful. THIRD WORLD - "Originally, nations - usually underdeveloped - that were not aligned diplomatically with the 'Free World' of Western democracies or the 'Communist world'; later, the Arab-African-Latin American-Indian bloc, with which the People's Republic of China often identifies. The phrase was originally French (tiers monde), in use to describe the neutralists in the Cold War since the late forties. Alfred Sauvy, the French sociologist who died in 1990, was credited with coining the phrase in 1952.the phrase came into U.S. use in the sixties." From "Safire's New Political Dictionary" by William Safire (Random House, New York, 1993). First World, the chief industrialized countries within the political power bloc of the world including many of the countries of Western Europe, the United States, Japan and the Soviet Union.... [1974, patterned after the THIRD WORLD] Second World, 1 the industrialized countries of the world not including the United States and the Soviet Union.... 2 the socialist or Communist countries of the world. ... [1974, patterned after THIRD WORLD] Third World .... [1963, translation of French _tiers monde_, based on the eighteenth-century _tier etat_, the Third Estate] Fourth World, the world's poorest and most underdeveloped countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. ... [1974, patterned after THIRD WORLD; coined by Robert McNamara, president of the World Bank, to distinguish such countries from the oil-rich nations of Asia, often grouped with the Third World] From _Third Barnhart Dictionary of New English_ (1990)

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I have found numerous variations on that which include "mankind is my brethren" but none of them give an exact source for it. I have seen it mentioned that it was his motto but other than that it seems to be something that...

Source(s): thomas paine 39 quot world country good religion quot originate: https://tr.im/jLlhK
  • "The world is my country, to do good is my religion"

Third world comes from the fact that it is believed that creatures from the experiments that people from other planets used to perform on the areas of earth that we know call third world. See there is a second world also which is actually a friendly colony of aliens who build all of our roller coaster technology.