If denied unemployment, must I still file bi-weekly claims?

Around Christmas, I was discharged from my job. The same day, I applied for unemployment. I've been filing my bi-weekly claims as I've been told as well as documenting my work searches. Today I received a notice saying I have been denied benefits along with a second letter telling me when to file my next bi-weekly claim.

My question is: If I'm not going to receive any unemployment, then why must I continue to file claims? I feel as if there is no point in doing so and allowing the state of MD to have tabs on my employment status if they aren't able to provide me with aid. Do I even need to continue to file?

**Note: I have not received any aid from them whatsoever.

They did say I could appeal, but I don't know if I feel like going through that entire process. It's taken almost a month for them to tell me if I qualified for benefits. Part of me feels like just searching for a job on my own and not filing anymore. -Is this okay or must I still file?

Favorite Answer

Yes u still have to file bi-weekly and if you appeal and you get it you would receive all that back pay thats why they tell you to keep doing now if you appeal and loses the second time around i would just give up cause you not going to get it so i would stop filing , but try one more time that what i did and the second time i appeal i got approve GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No

If your going to appeal their decision then yes you need to file weekly claims.

No you did not file so you don't qualify for that time period

did they inform you that you have the right to appeal? if so appeal and keep signing if that is what you want to do...