Why is Washington DC called the DMV?

Anyone from the DC slash PG county Maryland area knows that DC is called the DMV, what I want to know is why, everyone I've asked has no idea themselves, does anyone out there?

Favorite Answer

The DC area is called the DMV because it's an abbreviation for District-Maryland-Virginia. And since Maryland doesn't have a DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) but a MVA (Motor Vehicles Administration), it's a more prevalent expression on the Maryland side of the city.

• DJ REX2 years agoReport

It has nothing at all to do with the Department of Motor Vehicles. Both Va and MD have their own Department of Motor vehicles

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Why is Washington DC called the DMV?

Source(s): washington dc called dmv: https://tr.im/Bjoms

Dmv Dc

• Rose

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/AwfqF

Sorry but DMV are administrative in nature. This means that they have a tremendous amount of power over the little guy because driving "privileges" are not rights. The original police officer who gave you incredibly bad advice should be smacked upside the head. I'm not sure what his game was in issuing you a ticket he told you not to pay. He could have given you a verbal warning. But when you chose not to pay the ticket you pretty much served yourself up on a silver platter. Twelve years seems like a ridiculously long period. It is possible there could be a statute of limitations issue. (I'm not overly familiar with administrative law matters.) And it is possible you could fight this and win. But hiring an attorney to fight $98 doesn't seem like a wise investment. But over $98 I would be inclined to recommend that you not make this a hill to die on. State government offices are notoriously inefficient and ineffective. You might want to pursue this for the principle of the matter but you will likely spend tens if not hundreds of hours dealing with this - and they aren't going to care one way or the other. I would guess that your time is worth more than the $98 so you might just want to punt.

Because of REALLY stupid people. Every time Channel 9 says "DMV" I think of the Division of Motor Vehicles. NCR for National Capital Region is FAR more descriptive, accurate and inclusive of the region. It also avoids the Delmarva confusion.

It stand for DC-Maryland-Virginia (DMV) and is used within the area hip-hop/go-go/rap communites, which holds an annual DMV Entertainment Hip-Hop and Music Awards.

Because the are so closely linked and the people from all three areas work across state lines this is normal for them . They do a lot of traveling in these area to work back and forth it's crazy and the traffic is terrible.They are so inter changeable they weave back and forth like threading ribbons

Maryland Abbreviation

Well, I'm from that area of maryland and never heard that, but I guess maybe it could stand for the DC, Maryland, Viriginia area. I don't know last tiime I check the DMV was the Department of Motor Vehicles

I was dismissive of the term as I understood DMV to be Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia. Lumping the three different states together made no sense. As DC/MD/VA? Nah, I'll just say the DC area which by definition includes the adjacent parts of VA and MD.