New to web design, tips?

I'm a CS major, junior, working in QA, getting ready to get married, which obviously means I'm looking at a large financial burden in the very near future. Much to my relief one of the web page contractors approached me today, liked some of the designs I had done for our company (all internal stuff... show more I'm a CS major, junior, working in QA, getting ready to get married, which obviously means I'm looking at a large financial burden in the very near future.

Much to my relief one of the web page contractors approached me today, liked some of the designs I had done for our company (all internal stuff though, nothing big) & wanted to set me up with a small web design offer he didn't have time to take. Having enjoyed my previous forays into web design, & needing the money, after a bit of thought I said yes.

I am of course, terrified. Little pages for internal use at our company is one thing, but a corporate contract is something else. I've never even posted online, or connected with a database. & GUI's weren't really the focus of our CS education.

So as I jump into this new and exciting field, what tips do you experienced guys have? What should I be reading up on, what do you wish you had known? What should I read? What are the useful resources out there? Oh and in advance, thanks
Update: Ooh, really? Don't use Dreamweave? That is what I used in the past, but I have to admit the code itself was rather sloppy, and left some artifacts. But the idea of using ONLY textpad is more than a little intimidating. Anyone else agree with that advice, stick to the text editors? (that is what they always... show more Ooh, really? Don't use Dreamweave? That is what I used in the past, but I have to admit the code itself was rather sloppy, and left some artifacts.

But the idea of using ONLY textpad is more than a little intimidating. Anyone else agree with that advice, stick to the text editors? (that is what they always had us use in school)