Christian Republicans - How does this verse not argue against the war in Iraq?

Matthew 5:38-42

"38 You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39 But I say to you, Do not resist one who is evil. But if any one strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also; 40 and if any one would sue you and take your coat, let him have your cloak as well; 41 and if any one forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42 Give to him who begs from you, and do not refuse him who would borrow from you."

Does this not also argue against many Republican economic policies? How can we call ouselves a Christian nation?

An insult isn't "evil." This isn't talking about insults.

Best Answer

The Holy Roman Catholic Church has addressed this issue within the Catechism of the Curch

Just War (2307-17)

All citizens and all governments are obliged to work for the avoidance of war. Despite this admonition of the Church, it sometimes becomes necessary to use force to obtain the end of justice. This is the right, and the duty, of those who have responsibilities for others, such as civil leaders and police forces. While individuals may renounce all violence those who must preserve justice may not do so, though it should be the last resort, "once all peace efforts have failed." [Cf. Vatican II, Gaudium et spes 79, 4]

As with all moral acts the use of force to obtain justice must comply with three conditions to be morally good. First, the act must be good in itself. The use of force to obtain justice is morally licit in itself. Second, it must be done with a good intention, which as noted earlier must be to correct vice, to restore justice or to restrain evil, and not to inflict evil for its own sake. Thirdly, it must be appropriate in the circumstances. An act which may otherwise be good and well motivated can be sinful by reason of imprudent judgment and execution.

In this regard Just War doctrine gives certain conditions for the legitimate exercise of force, all of which must be met:

"1. the damage inflicted by the aggressor on the nation or community of nations must be lasting, grave, and certain;

2. all other means of putting an end to it must have been shown to be impractical or ineffective;

3. there must be serious prospects of success;

4. the use of arms must not produce evils and disorders graver than the evil to be eliminated. The power of modern means of destruction weighs very heavily in evaluating this condition" [CCC 2309].

The responsibility for determining whether these conditions are met belongs to "the prudential judgment of those who have responsibility for the common good." The Church's role consists in enunciating clearly the principles, in forming the consciences of men and in insisting on the moral exercise of just war.

The Church greatly respects those who have dedicated their lives to the defense of their nation. "If they carry out their duty honorably, they truly contribute to the common good of the nation and the maintenance of peace. [Cf. Gaudium et spes 79, 5]" However, she cautions combatants that not everything is licit in war. Actions which are forbidden, and which constitute morally unlawful orders that may not be followed, include:

- attacks against, and mistreatment of, non-combatants, wounded soldiers, and prisoners;

- genocide, whether of a people, nation or ethnic minorities;

- indiscriminate destruction of whole cities or vast areas with their inhabitants.

Given the modern means of warfare, especially nuclear, biological and chemical, these crimes against humanity must be especially guarded against.

In the end it is not enough to wage war to achieve justice without treating the underlying causes. "Injustice, excessive economic or social inequalities, envy, distrust, and pride raging among men and nations constantly threaten peace and cause wars. Everything done to overcome these disorders contributes to building up peace and avoiding war" [CCC 2317]. The Church has no illusions that true justice and peace can be attained before the Coming of the Lord. It is the duty of men of good will to work towards it, nonetheless. In the words of the spiritual dictum, we should work as if everything depended upon our efforts, and pray as if everything depended upon God.

This verse refers to someone who insults us and I am finding it very difficult to understand how it relates to your questions. Are you trying to say that the countless terrorist attacks by muslim groups and nations is really just an insult and that the bible says that we are to accept these attacks on ourselves and other nations without recourse?

Additionally, I am at a loss as to what this verse has to do with economic policies.

In Christ

Fr. Joseph

Note: Of course it is speaking of insults and yes those using insults CAN be evil. When Jesus was struck by the guard after His arrest, He did not turn the other cheek but stood defiantly against him. Are you saying that in this instance Jesus was not practicing what He preached? This verse certainly does not forbid self defense or the defense of others. Throughout the Scriptures we are taught to love each other and to sacrifice for each other. Jesus even said that there is no greater example of love than to lay down one's life for another. He also said in His great sermon on the mount that blessed are the peacemakers. Peacemaking requires sacrifice and action and not sitting passively aside when evil threatens.

I see what you're trying to get at but, no, those versus do not apply to the Iraq war. It's trying to use the "go ye therefore and make disciples of all nations" as justification for not working in the secular world.

However, "Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness" DIRECTLY applies to the Iraq war and its runup. Remember how we were told about all the "stockpiles" of WMD, UAVs capable of reaching US shores, mobile weapons labs, and how they had reconstituted nuclear weapons.

In addition, throughout the entire runup Bush et al used Saddam and Osama interchangebly.

The fact of the matter is that EVERYTHING the Bush adminsitration told us about Iraq was wrong. Now, being wrong about something doesn't neccesarily constitute lying but, with Bush's insistence that, despite no WMD's being found he still had "darn good intelligence" and "no mistakes were made", that leaves only one possible explanation - the WERE lying.

Lastly, 15 of the 19 hijackers were Saudi (none were Iraqi). Osama is Saudi and members of the royal Saud family financed and otherwise supported the 19 hijackers. Yet, how was Prince (now King) Abdullah (the head of the royal Suad family) greeted by the President who said "we will make no distinction between the terrorists and those that support terrorists"? Did Bush refuse Abdullah entry to the US? Did Bush smack him in the mouth? Nope, see for yourself....

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/04/im...

Absolutely pathetic.

• I can also remember Jesus flipping out when the money changers were operating in the Temple.

There is a difference between turning the other cheek and letting someone walk all over you. If we "turned the other cheek" every time a world power threatened us, Hitler would have conquered the world. Would that have been preferred?

I am not saying I agree with the war in Iraq, I am just pointing out the error in your argument.

does these verses sound familiar to you........???

------------------------

[Heb. 12:29] OUR GOD IS DESTROYING FIRE.

[Psalm. 94:1] O LORD, YOU GOD OF VENGEANCE.

[Job 7:21] Why do not you pardon my transgression and take away my iniquity?

[Ezek. 11:8] God said, "You have feared the sword, the sword I will bring

upon you."

[Amos 9:1] I will slay that left of them with the sword, not one of them

shall flee away.. I WILL COMMAND THE SWORD, AND IT SHALL SLAY

THEM.

[Jer. 49:37] I will send the sword after them, until I have consumed them.

(Let those who say Islam is the religion of the sword know that

the word "sword" is never mentioned in the Quran while the

Bible mentions it many times, in the way that you see here.)

[Ezek. 12:14] I will unsheathe the sword after them. I will let a few of them

escape from the sword, from famine and pestilence.

[Jer. 19:7]

The Lord said, "T WILL MAKE THEM EAT THE FLESH OF THEIR SONS AND THEIR

DAUGHTERS, and every one shall eat the flesh of his neighbour.

[Levi. 26:14]

If you will not hearken to me..21 I will bring a sword upon you.. 29 YOU SHALL

EAT THE FLESH OF YOUR SONS, AND DAUGHTERS.

[Lam. 2:20]

LOOK O LORD, AND SEE! WITH WHOM YOU HAVE DONE THAT: SHOULD WOMEN EAT THEIR

FRUIT AND CHILDREN OF A SPAN LONG?

[Lam. 4:4]

The hands of compassionate women have boiled their own childrenthey became

their food.

[Math. 10:34]

"Do not think that I have come to make peace on earth? I HAVE NOT COME TO BRING

PEACE, BUT A SWORD.

"For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her

mother."[said Jesus]!

[Luk. 12:49]

'I CAME TO CAST FIRE UPON THE EARTH, AND WOULD THAT IT WERE ALREADY KINDLED..

DO YOU THINK THAT I HAVE COME TO GIVE PEACE ON EARTH? NO, I TELL YOU, BUT

RATHER DIVISION; for from henceforth in one house there will be five divided,

three against two, and two against three. They will be divided, father against

son, and son against father, mother against daughter, and daughter against her

mother. [said Jesus]!

[Luk. 19:27]

For these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, BRING THEM

HERE AND SLAY THEM BEFORE ME.

[Luk. 14:26]

If any one comes to me and does not HATE his own father and mother and wife,

and children, and brothers and sisters yes and even his own life: he cannot be

my disciple.

[Lam. 2:20]

Look O Lord, why are you punishing us like this ? Women are eating the bodies

of their children they loved.

[Lam. 3:18]

MY HOPE IN THE LORD IS GONE.(According to the Good News Bible known as To Day

English's Language.)

42 We have sinned and rebelled, and you O Lord have not forgiven us. You

pursued us and killed, YOUR MERCY WAS HIDDEN BY YOUR ANGER. SLAYING WITHOUT

PITY, YOU HAVE WRAPPED YOURSELF WITH A CLOUD SO THAT NO PRAYER CAN PASS

THROUGH.

[Lam. 4:4]

The tongue of the nursling cleaves to the roof of its mouth for thirst, the

children beg for food.

8 Their visage is blacker than soot.. Their skin has shrivelled upon their

bones.

The HANDS OF THE COMPASSIONATE WOMEN HAVE BOILED THEIR OWN CHILDREN. THEY

BECAME THEIR FOOD in the destruction of the daughter of my people. The Lord

gave full vent to his wrath, and poured out his hot anger, and he kindled a

fire in Zion.

What about all the WMD's they found there?

Oh.... wait......