Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

I've never cut myself before but...?

...I started wearing rubberbands on my wrists and snapping them. It is addicting for some reason and it isn't bad like cutting. Cutting leaves a deep mark and snapping just leaves a red mark. Don't people who are trying to stop cutting do this? I'm just wondering cause I don't want people to see me with rubberbands on my wrist and think I am trying to stop cutting.

I've never cut but I used to burn myself.

Best Answer

I've seen that done before. It's best to try to stop as soon as you can. It can lead to worse things. I know it's addictive, but you need to think about helping yourself. You could make it into a game. Do something else whenever you get the urge to snap. Try to find a reason why this is happening. Talk to someone. Your worth more than that.

No all cutters don't do this. The act of putting a rubber band and snapping it on your wrist, can provide a reminder of something for those with a poor memory. The act of the snap mentally provides a mental response of memory for some. Others do it, if they are trying to quit smoking, biting nails, etc. I always found the habit to be insane. Pain does not help. Most would rather smoke or chew nails opposed to snapping their wrist with a rubber band. Some have had great success of focusing on the snap of the band. More than some find it painful and its a "method" that does not work. I can't imagine that this would be a method for cutters. Whoever, told a cutter this method works, none the less anyone trying to stop an addiction, needs to be evaluated mentally themselves.

This is a hard thing. Don't cut yourself, because it's no more obvious than crying or talking about your feelings, and people will be able to tell. Instead, go to a counselor and talk about your depression. They can help figure out ways to make sure you are happy and emotionally strong. You can go to your school (if you're in school), if not than call your doctor and ask for a referral to a good therapist. I did and it worked. They can also prescribe anti-depressants which work wonders. Meanwhile, try to distract yourself from your depression. Exercise, watch your favorite funny movies, listen to music and do something constructive such as cleaning or creating something like art, poetry, stories, cooking, song writing or forming a social network, like a club. Best of luck! And remember to reach out to people who care about you because it'll actually make a difference, trust me.

A long long time ago I used to cut and I stopped through psychotherapy but I've never heard of the rubber band treatment. It's addicting because it gives you a little *jolt!* and makes you feel alive, sort of in the same way cutting yourself does. I am not advocating cutting. I'm only trying to say that some people are so depressed they feel completely numb. And that's why they cut- to feel anything, even pain.

Me and my girlfriend have both cut and done the rubberband thing. it helps ease tension

but ive been trying to get us to stop, its not good.

tell a friend that you trust with everything, and when you have an urge to do either, you call him/her, and talk to them. it will help you to stop, it has worked for me and my gf for a while now

I have never heard of this before. I used to work in the mental health and worked with people who are bipolar 1and they are the ones who cut themselves. I feel that it is either a habit or you are a nervous person.

i agree that snapping is something different than cutting. you are correct when you say that cutting leaves a deep mar kand snapping leaves a red mark. i used to snap as well, and i never got cut, so i would say you are just snapping. you needn't worry about cutting yourself when you snap with a rubber band.

Actually, I have known people who wore rubber bands on their wrist to get them to stop doing other things, such as thinking bad of others, cursing, etc. I asked them why they wore them and they told me, "When I think of cursing, I pop the band and its helping me to stop."

If somebody asks you about it, just tell them it's personal and leave it at that.

I have never heard of that strategy for helping people stop cutting... maybe it would work though. Strange habbit to get into though, I think a healthier one to get into would be running or something like that.

Yupp, people who try to stop cutting do that for the relief. It works 90% of the time, but it worked for me.