Hi, I am 22 weeks pregnant, and I'm having BAD arthritis in my arm. Can I use BenGay, etc. to help w/ pain?

I have googled this also and seem to get conflicting results. Am currently using heating pad, but hard to sleep (as it cuts off automatically after 30 mins, so I wake up in serious pain again and again ... uggg).

Of course I will check with my doc tomorrow, but tonight is when I'm concerned about being in so much pain again. Just wondering about those little patches that stick to you that "heat up" .... maybe called Thera Patch or something like that?

I have always had arthritis in the right arm which flares up when it's cold & rainy. It's just here again unfortunately. Tylenol doesn't help with the pain as it is not an anti-inflammitory (sp). Either way - it is just starting to let up, thank goodness. So, I suppose I'll live, lol. Thank you so much for all of your suggestions!

Favorite Answer

I know how you feel, I'm pregnant and get severe arm pain occasionally (they say it's from a nerve being compressed in my neck) and I know you should not use bengay because it contains Asprin. I did use it before asking my doctor and he didn't freak out or anything but he told me not to use it anymore. He prescribed me Tylenol w/ codeine when it gets really bad, but usually I get through it with my heating pad alone. Mine does not cut off automatically though, maybe you can find one like mine. I hope you feel better soon, it's a terrible feeling to be in pain when you're pregnant and can't do much about it. Hang in there!

Source(s): 24 weeks pregnant :)

If you have osteoarthritis with very little inflammation, pain relievers such as acetaminophen (Tylenol) may be effective, and it is safe to take the recommended dosage during pregnancy. If you DO have a lot of inflammation, an ice pack (or a bag of frozen vegetables) wrapped in a towel and placed on the sore area for about 15 minutes may help to reduce swelling and stop the pain. Swimming, walking, low-impact aerobic exercise, and range-of-motion exercises may reduce joint pain and stiffness. In addition, stretching exercises are helpful. Try to stay away from NSAIDS like ibuprophine and naproxin-sodium because they can raise your blood pressure and harm your kidneys.

Rather than a heating pad, which is dangerous to fall asleep with, I like to use a clean gym sock filled with uncooked dry white rice. You fill the sock about half way, tie the end, then stick it in the microwave for about 30 seconds to 1 minute (depending on how powerful your microwave is). It takes it a while to cool. The downside is it DOES cool and if you still need the heat, you have to go back to the microwave. But the plus side is that you are not risking electrocution or setting your house on fire by being plugged in.

Well have you tried a tylenol pm?They help me sometimes but I have preeclampsia and PIH.If it doesn't go away you may need to call your doctor or go into the L&D and then they will monitor you.First if anything call the and tell them and they will let you know what you should do.Its best if you do this because sometimes headaches that don't go away can be early signs of preeclampsia and/or PIH.Good luck and I hope everything goes good.

How do you know it's arthritis? Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is common in pregnant women. Try Tylenol to ease the pain and wrap the area snugly with an Ace bandage. Let your doctor know as well.

I wouldn't, that stuff is actually pretty strong. In fact, a teenager died from using it too much last year ... http://rss.msnbc.msn.com/id/19144600

http://www.medicinenet.com/methyl_salicylate_and_m...

"This medication should be used only if clearly needed during pregnancy or while breast-feeding. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor."

well I know how bad it hurts since I've had the same pain before. I've used ICEE is not expensive is not as mentholed as bengaid is, but ask your doctor. I MEAN YOU ARE PREGNANT AND YOU WOULD WANT TO MAKE SUre

who is this "ben gay" gentleman?