Why does the the Christian community ignore the child molestation epidemic within its system?

Everybody knows that there is an epidemic of child molestation within the Christian church system. There are reports every day about the cover ups, huge pay outs of hush money, and the church's refusal to cooperate with authorities. But there is no out cry from the Christian community about this. Almost no... show more Everybody knows that there is an epidemic of child molestation within the Christian church system. There are reports every day about the cover ups, huge pay outs of hush money, and the church's refusal to cooperate with authorities. But there is no out cry from the Christian community about this. Almost no protests, no call for those responsible to be brought to justice, no demands for safe guards to be put in place to keep this from happening again, no outrage, no anything. Everybody just seems to sigh and look the other way, like it doesn't involve them so they don't worry about it. 'It's sad, but what can we do?' kind of attitude about the whole situation. What I want to know is why? Why no outrage? No protests? No call for reform? No demand that our children deserve protection from these predators? No acknowledging that this problem even exists? And how can an entire group of people be so cold when it comes to these most innocent of victims?
Update: It is amazing to me the number of people that have posted an answer yet have completely danced around the question! I guess it is a more difficult subject to deal with than most people can handle.Attention has been diverted to almost every element possible but the one at hand, except for a few people who have... show more It is amazing to me the number of people that have posted an answer yet have completely danced around the question! I guess it is a more difficult subject to deal with than most people can handle.Attention has been diverted to almost every element possible but the one at hand, except for a few people who have actually dealt with the subject in its entirety. I guess it just goes to show the mentality of point the finger at some one else to divert attention from the real subject. Sad but treu.
Update 2: Sad but true. sorry!!