How is the job as an CNA?

I'm in high school and I will be getting my CNA licence in a couple of months from a program at school. How is being an CNA? I heard its hard work, and you have to do all the dirty work. I'm working at some cafe for 8.50 an hour. Is a CNA job worth quiting my other job for? I might major in Nursing or PT when I go to college? So any advice

Favorite Answer

Your going to want to try to get a job in a hospital if you can and that will help with the experience that nurses and Physical therapists get. You can also job shadow and see what its like to be a CNA. Just call the human resources department of the place you would like to get a job and ask them if you can job shadow. I work as a cna in a hospital and I have worked in a nursing home. I think that hospital cna work is a little less stressful and less repetitive. It is fun and I am in nursing school right now and that is really helping me to have the cna backround as well as having nurses to ask questions to. A lot of the things you learn in nursing school are hospital appropriate and it is really helpful. Thats all I can say. Hope you have a great time

Being a CNA can be hard work especially if you work in a nursing home. If you can get on in an acute care ward, that is not quite as strenuous. And of course you do all of the dirty work, so if you have a problem with other peoples bodily fluids then being a CNA is not for you. But if you want to go into the nursing field it would be a good idea to take a CNA job just to get an idea of what it is like. But keep in mind that being a nurse is much different than being a CNA. A CNA may do the dirty work but the RN has the responsibility. Also remember that nursing homes are not the only places that one can work as a nurse. Also I doubt that you will make much more as a CNA than you do now at your current job, but the experience is worth it.

• .

Being a CNA is a hard job, and it is true that they do all the dirty work. A CNA will clean up a patient that has soiled themselves in bed. You have to feed people, clean up and make beds, carry laundry, empty the trash, and do whatever else the RNs ask of you. On the bright side, those people need you. Sometimes a person's own family won't take care of them, and where would they be without the CNA? Do that job. Learn. Pay attention to what is happening around you. Most places that employ you will help you pay for college if you do decide to go to RN school. I applaud you.

Source(s): Respiratory therapist for 20 years.

2

Source(s): Fill Surveys Get Money : http://OnlineSurveys.iukiy.com/?lNCh

I'm a CNA now. It's an awesome job to start out with. You might end up doing all the dumb crap but that's how it is when you start out on the lowest level anywhere. Just be sure to be confident in yourself, don't let the RN's talk to you like you are stupid and put the relationship between you and the patients first and foremost. If you do that, it won't matter how hard or frustrating things can be as a CNA.

Source(s): I am a CNA, working on my RN.

It's a very demanding job, both physicaly and emotionally. As long as you are happy with where you work it can be very rewarding. I did the Nursing Home thing for about 6 years and left to go into mental health. Nursing homes have a high burn out rate for the CNA's, try a smaller resident home or group home.

Source(s): LNA

I only made 8.50 an hour as a CNA, but that was several years ago.

I hated it. I too got my CNA license while in high school. I worked in a nursing home. I had to clean up pee and poop multiple times a day. It was terrible. Night shift wasn't too bad. You just had to check and change them every 2 hours, so there was a lot of down time. Day shift you had to bathe, feed and change them. There wasn't much down time. I heard working at a hospital is a lot better, but I don't know because I never worked there.

My license is now expired. I knew I did not want to do that for a living! Ew!

Being a cna in a nursing home is hard dirty work. Don't do it. Working in a hospital is a lot better and offers more money.

If you are going into nursing or PT, getting your feet wet as a CNA would be a great start. It will look good on your resume and will give you practical experience.

You get paid a piece of crap while doing all the dirty work the nurses don't want to do. I say stay in school and get your RN (it only takes 2 yrs) and then you'll be making good money, it is hard work though.