Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

I live in Alberta, was recently terminated due to reliability issues. Can I collect unemployment?

I had been employed there for 9 months, I recently got sick and was unable to work for a couple weeks I had a doctor's note and called in everyday that I was not going to be there. Management claims I was unreliable and went on to replace me while I was away.

• Zombie
    Favorite Answer

Your company will protest but you will get the unemployment compensation. Make an appointment and visit human resource, ask why you received this unreliability comment. Try to dissuade them or get them to rescind it, this could be very harmful at your next interview for a job. It carries a innuendo that you cannot be trusted in the workplace. Also get them to give you a reference on work abilities alone even if they add you missed too many days off as a point of negotiation, it can't hurt and they just might go for it. Explain the hardship that this puts upon you. good luck to you Amanda

As long as you was at that job or a taxable job for 6 months or more you can. But, the company can always deny you and then you'll have a hearing at the unemployment office and they will decide whether or not you get it or not.

• wizjp

Apply. Odds are if they fight it, you'll lose; many times employers are already maxed out or too busy to mess with the claim and let it go thru. Assuming you are elligible on other grounds with 9 months employment

Otherwise....probably not.

The place to find this out would be the unemployment office.

I dont know but after two weeks most any company would need to replace that employee.

Management does not care that is why most workers don't care or is not loyal.