promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

If America was founded on Christian ideals, which parts of the Constitution were influenced by Christianity?

I've been reading the Constitution, and everywhere I look I can see the influences of European enlightenment philosophy, but I can't seem to find anything influenced by Christianity.

The only things I've found that even come close to relating to Christianity all pretty much go against the Bible. (The 1st, 8th, and 13th amendments, for example.) I can't seem to find the parts that agree with the Bible.

Could somebody tell me which parts of the Constitution were inspired by the Bible or Christianity?

Please cite a specific article and section number, or amendment number so that I'll know where to look. Thanks.

Update:

Mystine: Freedom and individual responsibility are values that were around long before Christianity and can be found in non-Christian societies. The fact that Christianity shares those values does not make them Christian values anymore than it makes them Buddhist values.

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Vishal, you know I agree with you on the whole separation of church and state issue, but I don't agree with the premise of this question. While the "American ideals" we hold today are largely based on the Constitution (specifically, Bill of Rights), America was "founded" a LOT earlier than that document was written. Is the Constitution religious? No. But I guess we're operating under different ideas of when the country was "founded." Does that mean when it was settled, when a government was established, or something else? I suspect that when people claim America was founded on Christian ideals they're thinking about the Puritans settling, not about the first session of Congress.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The majority of the founding fathers were practicing christian values and by giving people freedom to choose what Religion they want to believe in without persecution and with out the influence of the state because it is based on godly principles that a people had to have the freedom to believe in God, however it was set up as a Christian Utopia and could really only work if all the people had a christian moral base. Taxes were only meant to be levied temporally to meet a specific need which was based on the idea of tithing. However because we no longer have a moral base the effectiveness of the constitution is diminished. Checks and balances should work if the people that are in power are truly practicing Christians going by the words of the Bible. There are section after section on just the subject of good leadership and good stewardship in the Bible. If you never read the Bible fully or understood the time it was written or the historical significance or know much about the Jewish faith you may not understand. Why the Founding father set up the constitution the way they did, but they knew it would only work if the good of the people out-weighed the bad. The number of bad people out weigh the good that is why we suffer so much. If we all had a good moral base and truly cared about each other unconditionally. The constitution would be a great system, but we don't and we suffer because of it.

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

A Christian may tell you that you do not truly understand the Constitution and must be a complete believer in Christ in order to understand it properly and see the correlation...

I say hogwash these people need to stop interpreting things simply how is best for themselves.

Added: To mystine though the things you speak of are not values held ONLY by Christians. Therefore I could say that the constitution was based on Pagan Values? or Perhaps Buddhist Values?

• 1 decade ago

wow, today i learned that the american nation was specifically founded by christian idealists, who must have lived over 100 years to still be here in 1776, regardless of who came later or the fact that the colonies were funded for financial exploitation of the continent; and i learned that only a christian is capable of benevolent governance. i'm sure the rest of the world will be surprised to find out that they have never had an effective government because they've never had a 'christian' government.

i also learned that 'america' is a continent, which i'm guessing is somewhere between north america and south america, so i've been calling myself american when i should have been calling myself united statesian. or is that united statesese? or unitite, maybe? i guess australians and south africans better find a new name for their countries so as not to be confused for continents.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Declaration of Independence states, "[Men] are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." It also states that these rights are "self evident" and that they constitute the "Laws of Nature." These principles are taken directly from the Bible.

The Law of Nature can be viewed in Romans 2:14-16. That our Creator is the Author of life is seen in Genesis 2:7. That God, not government, grants liberty is seen in Galatians 5:1. The "pursuit of happiness" is found in Ecclesiastes 3:13.

Beyond that, virtually every one of the ten articles contained in the Bill of Rights has Biblical foundation. The First Amendment recognizes the natural right of freedom of speech, religion and assembly. Christians are clearly given divine instruction regarding each of these responsibilities. Our founding documents properly established a government designed to "secure these rights." Therefore, under the First Amendment, Christians are free to preach the Gospel and to assemble for worship.

Likewise, the Second Amendment has Biblical foundation. Our Lord said in Luke 11:21, "When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace." In Luke 22:35, 36 He said, "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."

Other articles contained in the Bill of Rights also have Biblical basis. For example, the Fourth Amendment comes from Deuteronomy 24:10, 11. The Eighth Amendment originates in Deuteronomy 15: 2, 3. Again, these principles are "self evident" truths which come from "the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God."

Even America's constitutional form of government consisting of three co-equal branches, legislative, executive and judicial is taken directly from Isaiah 33:22.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Declaration of Independence, which is more a :founding" document than the Constitution (which sought to perfect the existing Union,) was written from a Creationist's perspective.

• 1 decade ago

In all the places they wrote God of course.

Oh wait....God is not mentioned once in either the Constition or the Bill of Rights....hmmmm....

People DO realize that "The Year of Our Lord" was simply standard English right? Sort of like how we use CE and BCE now? What where they suppose to put? The year of our country? Based on what? Come one people, basic language here

• 1 decade ago

once you are born again then the Godly influences within all our founding documents become readily apparent to you. Every single word was told to and inspired and written down into our constitution by the Lord God Himself who was before time before man and other religions came about, Spirit was and is and always will be. He set His principles in the hearts and minds of our founding fathers who weren't required to write in the fashion understood by bibical peoples but in the language and concepts easily understood by the learned men and women of the 1700's when our firm foundation was written into law. HE wrote it all, no need to cite any specific sentence at all.

Source(s): God
  • 7 years ago

Well, the Constitution is morally indifferent on slavery, and assumes women are property and therefore have no part in government. That's American conservative Christianity, OK!

• 1 decade ago

Article IV was influenced by Christianity. It says: No religious test shall be required for public service.

Of course, that was a negative influence, not a positive one. The Founding Fathers saw what happened when you mixed religion and politics, and that influenced them to try to keep them separate. They were so concerned with religion and politics mixing that their first amendment to the Constitution was to strengthen that wall of separation, as Jefferson called it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.