promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
lol asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

if i marry an american citizen will i be able to live in the united states if im from mexico?

24 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

how are you here?legally or illegally?if illegally you will need to be petitioned for.you will get a ban.the to get a waiver for stay of deport the person petitioning for you will need to write a hardship letter that explains extreme hardship if you were deported and why that person cant live in mexico.the petitioner will need to make over 125% of poverty level or use a co-sponser to help.process is long and hard.if married under 2 years you will have a conditional green card which 90 days before your 2 years you will need to apply to remove the conditions.DO NOT MARRY JUST TO GET A GREEN CARD.not only is it wrong and illegal you will get a lifetime ban from the US for doing so.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, but you will not be a citizen for at least two years. They did this because a lot of ladies would marry an American and divorce him right after getting citizenship. So, now it takes 2 years. My mom got her citizenship through marriage.

• 1 decade ago

Sure. Your spouse has to file a form. That form has to be approved. Then you file for a K visa. While you are applying for the K visa you apply for a work permit, then you pay a lot of money to an attorney and wait. If you live in Mexico you will have to go the closest US embassy and entregar your papeles and you will have to have a medical exam from a doctor that they choose. Think 6 months to 1 year or longer to get the K visa. Think 5-7 years to get citizenship if you want it.

• 4 years ago

Marriage in Mexico Mexican government require right here for marriage betwen a distant places citizen and a citizen of Mexico. application holding the finished names of the couple, nationality, address, address of the civil registry place of work the place marriage will happen and date the marriage would be completed. unique and approved reproduction of a valid rfile exhibiting criminal status in Mexico of the distant places citizen. unique and approved reproduction of distant places citizen's passport. Letter signed by employing the two applicants addressed to the Instituno Nacional de Migracion holding that not one of the them have a criminal impediment to get married. qualified reproduction of a divorce decree or different evidence of termination of any former marriages of the distant places citizen or meant companion. All records issued interior the U.S. could be apostilled (authenticate the rfile) to be utilized in Mexico. greater suggestions approximately apostilles could be discovered right here. unique and approved reproduction of delivery certificates of Mexican applicant. unique and approved reproduction of Mexican first rate image id of Mexican applicant. In case of youth applicants, permission from mothers and fathers. fee of fee.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yeah why wouldn't you? I don't if you being from Mexico if your need a work permit, but you will get a green card ( i never needed a work permit) just the green card, and yes i can and do work here in the U.S

P.S You don't need a lawyer, i didn't need one. Once your married you and your husband will have to file paper work, i think we had to pay about $ 100.00 at the time for the paper work and the photos for the paper work. After a few months your get your green card, i was living in the U.S long before i got my card. And in order to became a citizen you have to live in the U.S for about 2 years, and take a test on U.S history and on the U.S government and that will cost you about $ 200.00 to take the test (doesn't come cheap).

• 1 decade ago

You will be able to immigrate to the united states but you will not be able to just come over here to live. (Not legally anyway.)The good part of marrying a us citizen is you will not have to wait for your number to come up (quota).But you will have to apply at the american embassy just like any other mexican that wants to immigrate (legally).That entails filling out an application and undergoing a background ck. If you have not been deported from the us for at least 5 years, you can usually get approved. The only exception for this is if you have ever had an arrest (conviction) for sex crimes or drug offences. There is no chance for them. good luck

• 1 decade ago

If you came into the country with a visa or any kind of permit the answer is yes! , but if you came into the country illegally, you are more likely to be deported because the law 145-I is no longer available for illegals immigrants.

Best wishes!

• 1 decade ago

Yes, but i dont think you have to get married in the US for that. you could marry the guy in mexico and he can apply to bring you legally....or if you have a passport then you can come and start applying for citizenship.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes marrying a American citizen is the easiest way to citizenship.

• 1 decade ago

Of course, you will...you will also be able to work legally...u just have to file your papers properly and follow all the steps you will be required by the INS.(having a lawyer is a good idea:)

Good Luck!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.