If you gain citizenship in another country do you lose citizenship in your original country?

For example say I applied for Uk citizenship would that mean I would lose my Us citizenship? Or would I keep both...

6 Answers

  • Favorite Answer

    Dual Citizenship is possible, you don't have to give up nothing...

    from the US State Department website!

    The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy.Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth.

    A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Yes, you can just be a citizen of one country. There are still exceptions, there are cases, where you are born in a country but your parents just came here, and you are registred in the country

    of your parents. But if you would apply in th UK, you would loose your citizenship in the US. The legal process, to become a citizen is trough naturalization. Not every one can get a citizenship that easy.

  • 5 years ago

    Some countries allow dual citizenship and some don't. In the U.S. an immigrant becoming a citizen must renounce his citizenship and as well as his allegiance to the country from which he came.

  • 1 decade ago

    You will lose your american citizenship if you .......

    A) run for office in another country

    B) apply for citizenship in another country, or

    C) volunteer for the armed forces of another country.

    However, if another country confers citizenship upon you then you can hold dual citizenship. You still can't run for office or volunteer in the armed forces of that country, however.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • o_o
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    Yes, you can keep both..its called " Dual Citizenship "

  • 1 decade ago

    you can get dual citizenship....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.