Do I file a separate return for a W2 i forgot to file last year?

I filed taxes last year but forgot about a W2 i hadnt received so if i have to file a amended return do i have to wait for my other w2 for this year?

• Jesse
    Favorite Answer

No, you will need to file a 1040X (Amended Return) in order to correct the previous year's mistake. Do not file a separate return with just that W-2 Income. You will need to fix the whole thing.

If you look at the form, there are three columns: a) Reported Amount b) Adjustment c) Corrected Amount

Adjust what you need to. Since your income will go up, you will incur interest and penalties if you don't have any 2006 refund waiting to be applied for 2007.

Good luck.

No. Your amended return is like doing 2006 completely over, but you use a different form. You file a separate return for 2007.

You file an amended return adding the income and withheld tax from the missing W-2

Your employers have until the 31 (tomorrow) to mail out your W2. If you file with only one W2 you will have to fine an adjustment for the other one I wouldn't recommend it. Do you happen to have your last paystub for that job? Your accountant could use that to fine your taxes.