Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 1 decade ago

How can I make and sell my own inventive alcohol beverage?

My friend has invented a great new drink and we are wondering what the legal and business process is for starting a company to market it.

Favorite Answer

That all depends on what kind of a drink it is.

If it's a beer or wine, the first thing would be to get an EIN (Employer Identification Number) from the IRS and open a business bank account. Then you would need to go through the ATF's TTB (tax department) and get federal wine/beer permits, then the same permits in your state (if you state requires them). You would also need to file for excise taxes, register with the FDA, and trademark your company and products names. The process is a lot longer than this sounds, and there is a ton of paperwork to file.

If this is a distilled product, then it's almost the same process as beer & wine except it's a distiller's license ($1000 a year).

If this is just a mixed drink recipe, then all you can really do is submit it to the assorted bartending and recipes websites and books. There is really no way to market a mixed drink or cocktail like there is with beer & wine.

If you are serious about this, and it's beer, wine, or a distilled spirit, feel free to email me and I will help you.

• .

Depends on where you live but the selling part will probably require a permit or license or something like that. Have fun but be careful. I don't really reacll if it is a state thing or a federal thing. Check with your local court house and they should be able to direct you to the right place. Check BEFORE you make it and sell it.

Yeah, that could make you a crook due to the fact that you probably did whatever unlawful. You would not be competent to promote alcohol anymore and also you could regularly must pay a huge colossal pleasant. It regularly depends upon which nation you are from. Everywhere has extraordinary legislation.

If the drink uses any name-brand liquor, I would start with them and see if they are interested. It worked for Mike's Hard Lemonade, why not for you?! Good Luck!

Put a patent on it or what ever its called

patent. mass produce. do business. don't ask me how.

isnt that called moonshine and pretty much illegal?

i dont know.go to the president.