Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 decade ago

anyone know anything bad about united airlines?

my husband is flying with them for the first time, and he has been delayed every flight! due to mis-scheduling!!!

• Mike R
    Favorite Answer

United is the only airline that I refuse to fly no matter what. I fly close to 100 times a year (mostly for work) and over the past 3 years or so, I've flown United 3 times. Each time, they've either significantly delayed or canceled flights for no reason (or because of maintenance), and has lost my luggage. In the hundreds of times I've flown American or USAirways or other airlines, I've NEVER had a canceled flight or had my luggage get lost. I've seen overflowing toilets on United flights, and dried vomit in the seat pocket, and other unsanitary conditions. One time, I went to check luggage for my United flight. I was told to arrive an hour before hand, but I arrived an hour and 45 minutes before. I waited in line for an hour and a half, despite telling them that I was going to miss my flight, which I obviously did. This was at the Burbank airport. There were at least a dozen empty ticket counters and only 2 people checking in hundreds of passengers. I know for a fact that there were other people who missed the same flight as me because the airline was so understaffed. I've never met a friendly United employee. I could go on and on. There are more stories but you get the picture. At least other airlines have SOME friendly employees, haha. Actually I've pretty much never been treated rudely on another airline (again, I fly constantly). I find it suspicious that I fly all the time with barely any problems, but when I fly United, I run into HUGE problems. And United Airlines has lost a lot of business by pissing me off. Many of the places I fly to the most - California, Chicago, and Washington DC - are places that United flies to. But I'll stick with American or USAirways.

United used to be the airline that had one of the highest mishandled baggage rate in the airline industry.

Also because they operate so many flights out of O'Hare, many times, United will depart from the gate on-time and then sit on the tarmac/taxiway for 15-20 minutes because Chicago is backed up. It happens all the time when we fly United out of Cincinnati into Chicago.

With it being wintertime, United's main hubs (Chicago, Denver and Washington D.C.) can receive snowfall which would cause delays and flight cancellations. Another one of their hubs is San Francisco, a city known for fog. United sometimes has delays there as well. When you have delays at your major hubs, it delays the entire airline's flight schedule for the day.

Ah, yes, late flights. Everyone's biggest headache. The simple answer to this problem is that there are too many airplanes flying around the friendly skies of the United States, and Canada, and Britain, and Europe, and....

When all these planes have to get together at one airport, a fair amount of congestion inevitably results, and for the last two weeks or so, Chicago has been hit a number of times by bad weather. If you check with all the airlines that fly in and out of Chicago, they have all suffered delays and cancellations due to low cloud cover, fog, etc.

It LOOKS worse for United, but Chicago is one of their major hubs. Once a whole set of delays occur in Chicago, the effects continue to ricochet through their whole system for several days before everything settles down.

The point is that this can happen to ANY airline at its major hub. American Airlines can be messed up by major problems at Dallas. Continental can be tangled up over Cleveland, Newark, or Houston. Heaven help Delta's passengers if anything ever goes majorly wrong in Atlanta. Etc., etc.

And no, I am not an employee of United, or being paid by them to try to make them look good. But nobody can control the weather!

I used to work at an airport and we had United and American fly into our airport ( small airport). When there is bad weather United will cancel all their small flights first, American will cancel equally across the board. So if you will be flying a commuter plane, go with American (if it were between the two) if you will be on big planes, fly United.

Chicago O'Hare is one of the worst airports to fly through, so that is already part of the problem.

Welcome to the wonderful world of commercial flying!

Yes, United is having problems. They are blaming it on the weather. The pilots are blaming it on the airline not having enough pilots. The pilots are probably right because American has to fly through the same weather and they had far fewer cancellations.

Northwest had the same problem last year. They laid off so many pilots that they started running out.

From my experience, United is not a particularly well run airline. Unfortunately, neither are many of their domestic competitors. Your husband may as well get used to it.

aaah! the story of my life flying with United!

I fly for my job (which is 2x a month).

Never have I NOT been delayed, bumped or have my flight cancelled. Most of their flights, they wont allow you to choose your seat until you are at the gate.

they ALWAYS delay ALL of my flights!

once i was delayed 91/2 hours because they needed a part for something.

there is something bad about all airlines if you fly enough

my husband works for faa .i dont fly ever since i looked into his briefcase