How long does credit debt take to fall off your credit report?

When I was younger (in 2000), I ran up 3 credit cards and never paid them (20K total). I have now become responsible and just received a new credit card which I pay promptly. My credit report says that the 3 bad ones will expire Sept'08. Can they renew the debt to me or will they just expire automatically... show more When I was younger (in 2000), I ran up 3 credit cards and never paid them (20K total). I have now become responsible and just received a new credit card which I pay promptly. My credit report says that the 3 bad ones will expire Sept'08. Can they renew the debt to me or will they just expire automatically making my credit report clear and only show the new card I got that I'm paying on time? I'm afraid they'll see that I've changed and now want me to pay the back money which I can't afford. Can anyone help me with this as I don't know where to turn or who to ask. I'm hoping they just expire and that's it but I'm scared the credit card lawyers can renew it once they see that I've changed and now want their money. Please, anyone help if you can. Thanks so much.