If 'Hunter' is a socially acceptable name for a boy, why isn't 'Gatherer'?

Hummmmm?

Favorite Answer

Hahaha! I'm so happy I"m conneced to Thrice baked so I get to see things like this! LOL!

I really needed a laugh after some of the frustrating questions and answers I've just been trying to sift through!

Well, as another said, if you name your children Hunter and Gatherer, they're going to be teased..so I hope you're wealthy enough to pay for therapy when they're older with a good psychotherapist.

You might find the story of my own child's name chosing amusing.

When I was pregnant, I knew that if I had a girl I was going to name her after two people I loved and that was that..so I told my husband that since I just had to name a girl a certain particular name that it was only fair that I give him free rein to pick a boys name if I had a boy.

Well, when we discovered I was going to have a boy fairly early on, he kept dragging his feet and wouldn't come up with any name. It was driving me bonkers. Finally in month 7 when we went on a tour of the hospital nursery where I was going to give birth and he saw the warming light under the examination table where the baby would first be placed for the first examination he said " That looks like the trays at McDonalds where they keep the burgers warm..I've GOT it..We'll call him "Big Mac" and he patted my protruding belly. GRRRRRR..that had everyone on the "tour" rolling in laughter but it horrified me. Then his next suggestion didn't help any better..All of a sudden while listening to some Van Halen, he said..I have it..we'll name him WOLFGANG..I am a huge music fan and Motzart was a great man.

I said..um..Eddie Van Halen and Valerie Bertinelli may have named their child Wolfgang, BUT they are Rock Stars and Celebrities who hang out with other CELEBRITIES who also name their kids oddball things like Moon Unit and Dweezil and CAN AFFORD to send their KIDS to psychotherapy When they're older to compalin to the shrink how their parents messed their lives up by naming them such oddball names! WE live in the stix of ARKANSAS! He's already going to be the only Jewish kid in his grade most likely..and be different for THAT...I'm NOT going to name him Wolfgang and that's THAT!

He looked at me and said. Hmm..I thought I could choose any name I wanted. And grinned.

I won't reveal the name he really did choose..but it was a very nice one. Hubby just loved playing head games with me over it. The funny thing is..the first time our son heard us tell this story to him a few months ago..he said.."WOW I would have LOVED to have been called Wolfgang! Aww Dad you should have named me Wolfgang!"

He is a musician after all..plays guitar and drums and he's quite the natural at it.

Sigh. I think I need the therapist.

It's fine if you like it. Lily Grace is romantic and peaceful, but Alexandra has a different feel to it. It doesn't go with the theme of your names if you know what I mean. But it's a perfectly good name.

Ehh. Could be a few reasons.

First off, hunters are often stereotyped to be masculine, manly providers -- gatherers, on the other hand, and kind of publically viewed as the weak one, so to speak.

Also, the combination of "erer" with a last name, might sound a bit strange, to some ears. Granted, I have heard a few such names. However, quite frankly, those people weren't actually very socially acceptable.

Or maybe they simply ran out of space, and couldn't fit "i lyk ur face!!!!!1" on the birth certificate. So, they just shoved something random there.

:D

Honestly? I don't find Hunter very socially acceptable either. LOL

I understand it's a POPULAR choice, generally by parents who give exactly 30 seconds of thought to the word's actual meaning and obvious connotations, but that doesn't make it a good or inherently "acceptable" one ... nor should it. ;) After all, randomly choosing a name that can easily be seen as unnecessarily violent -- per the "one who tracks and kills" literal meaning here -- really shouldn't be socially accepted. But unfortunately, some parents don't actually consider the obvious associations of such "names," and simply want something they think sounds "cool" or "masculine." :( Shame!

So despite the oddity of Gatherer as a name, I'd find it far preferable to grab-my-gun Hunter. ;)

I love the name Hunter for a boy, of course it's acceptable! As far as the whole "gatherer" question goes, that's just too funny.

Can you imagine calling your child from the other room? "Gatherer come here!" no it just doesn't work, but if you wanna name your kid that, go for it nobody will stop you. As for socially acceptable, who cares what society thinks.

i hate the name Hunter on a boy or a girl for that matter. i don't see the appeal in occupational surnames (Taylor, Tyler, etc.) as given names anyway let alone one that means someone who hunts and kills things.

Well, I don't accept Hunter so why would I accept Gatherer?

I find Hunter entirely inappropriate for a child of any gender or age. Not only is the meaning deterring, but it's not a particularly attractive name.

Well, if you put it into a historical context, "hunters" were associated with men and boys and the "gatherers" were associated with women and girls. So, if you name your boy "Gatherer" he is probably going to be teased into oblivion.

Well, socially acceptable though it may be, if you name your kid "Hunter," you evidently want him to be either a porn model or a soap actor. "Gatherer" sounds more like a migrant worker.