stephen t asked in SportsBasketball · 1 decade ago

Which team do you think has the best big three in the NBA?

Here are some options:

Celtics - Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen

Suns - Shawn Marion, Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire

Spurs - Tony Parker, Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili

Wizards - Gilbert Arenas, Caron Butler, Antawn Jamison

Nuggets - Allen Iverson, Carmelo Anthony, Marcus Camby

Favorite Answer

Sheer ability Boston.

You have everything you need in Boston, Pierce is a slasher who is a legitimate perimeter threat, Allen is one of the premier 3pt shooters in the league, and people forget that he's a really good ball handler and can create off the dribble too. Garnett is just a beast inside, but has the soft touch to light it up from mid range as well, a lot of options from all over. They may not have played together too long, but they're all good team players.

Here are my knocks against other Big Threes.

Suns - No defense, especially from Nash and Stoudamire. Nash is a pushover on defense, and why do you think D'Antoni started Kurt Thomas to guard Tim Duncan instead of Stoudamire last year for the conference finals?

Spurs - Old and injury prone, not that they're bad, they'd be my number two pick. They're good, Ginobili is a great shooter and slasher as is Parker, but they're older and on the injured list too frequently. Tim Duncan, the Big Fundamental is nearly unstoppable in the middle. All of them though, get hurt and it slows them down, especially Ginobili, who plays really aggressively for his age. Don't get me wrong, these guys are amazing, Tim Duncan is probably my favorite player of all time, but I'd still have to put them a notch down from the Celtics.

Wizards - You know, I don't think these guys are really that legitimate of a Big Three, at least in my book. The Wizards actaully seem to be playing better without Arenas than with him (or without one member of the Big Three than with all 3). My reasoning; Arenas is a shoot-first point guard, something of a 3pt man, Jamison's game is too similar, just replace all of Arenas's assists with rebounds, so there's not a whole lot of big inside post presence. Replace Jamison with maybe like a Carlos Boozer or Arenas with like a Baron Davis and I think you have something going, just my call.

Nuggets - Again not a legitimate Big Three in my perspective because Camby isn't always a legitimate offensive option. He gets you boards and blocks and sometimes steals, but isn't really known for his offensive prowess. I think what makes a Big 3 are 3 players that create their own offenses that compliments one another, Camby doesn't create.

One Big 3 I think should be listed right now is this:

Magic - Rashard Lewis, Hedo Turkoglu, Dwight Howard

My only knock on them is that they take too many shots from beyond the arc, but that's how their offense is supposed to work. I'd still stick with Boston, but these guys would be my number 3 pick.

1st Celtics - Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen

2ndSuns - Shawn Marion, Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire

3rdNuggets - Allen Iverson, Carmelo Anthony, Marcus Camby

If you know anything about the NBA you would know that 2 of the the Miami Heat "big 3" signed for less than they could get from other teams when they got together. That was not the case with the Boston Celtics who made numerous moves to put their big 3 together.

Well if Mike Conley getting his first couple of starts I gotta go with Memphis being included in that list. Mike COnley has strtated 3 games after coming back from injurt, and memphis record is 2-1, 1 loss aginst Boston at boston by 4 points, with conley as the starter, gasol is avgering 25, gay 22 and miller 20.

They have turned Boston around. From one of the worst nba record in the nba last year to the best nba team record this year.

• Joe

The Celtics have made the most improvement with their big three. The Suns and Spurs have dominated the West with their big three for years.

How about the Pistons - Chauncy Billups, Rip Hamilton, Sheed?

Well The Spurs are CHEATERS, so I guess we'll have to scratch that one off.

The Celtics are damn good this year... I'm not going to deny that, but to be fair: they've just been playing the East coast teams. The Western Conference is a lot more talented.

so...

HANDS DOWN: THE PHOENIX SUNS!!!

Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire, Leonardo Barbosa

It was the spurs because they played so well together as a team, but right now i believe it is the celtics. Both the spurs and the celtics play good defense, i believe that the celtics 3 has a better offense then spurs.

Celtics - Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen, because they are #1 and better together then apart.

everyone else I find boring.

Well, the Spurs have the championships to prove it, but because the Celtics have the best record now and are doing so great this year, I'd say they have the best.