Ferberizing vs Co sleeping?

I want to hear from anyone who has either ferberized (cry it out) or co slept with their baby. I heard that babies are easier to handle when they are older if you let them cry it out. I just want to know the long term effects of either letting the child cry it out or co sleeping. If co sleeping, how long did... show more I want to hear from anyone who has either ferberized (cry it out) or co slept with their baby. I heard that babies are easier to handle when they are older if you let them cry it out. I just want to know the long term effects of either letting the child cry it out or co sleeping. If co sleeping, how long did baby co sleep and was it hard to get baby in his own crib. If you let them cry it out, were they happier, more independent? Please also specify the child's current age and/or age that you used whichever method you used.
Update: My son is 5 1/2 months old. He was sleeping on his own (without crying) until I put him in bed with me when he was sick. I let him sleep in bed with me for 2 weeks and now he wont sleep unless I am next to him. He wakes up every 2 hours and I am sleep deprived and exhausted. When he is in his crib alone he only... show more My son is 5 1/2 months old. He was sleeping on his own (without crying) until I put him in bed with me when he was sick. I let him sleep in bed with me for 2 weeks and now he wont sleep unless I am next to him. He wakes up every 2 hours and I am sleep deprived and exhausted. When he is in his crib alone he only wakes up once during the night. I just want to get some sleep!