Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

How long do you have to wear a retainer after you have your braces taken off?

I have had braces for 6 months now and my dentist said I'll have them off in another 6 months (he also said that I had the quickest correction of teeth he's ever seen) so I'm wondering how long I'll have to wear a retainer after I have them taken off.

I have them on upper and lower teeth too.

Favorite Answer

I wore a retainer at all times for about 6 months after having my braces off, then just at night for a few more months I think... The little bar that is placed on the inside of your front bottom teeth gets removed after 2 years.

Your dentist will let you know how long to wear you retainer. I used to have braces also. Its been 3 years since. I wore mine for the first 2 years afterwards, but only when I was sleeping. You don't get a retainer for your bottom teeth.

• I have an expander, currently and will be getting braces before I start school. I will be wearing them for 2 years then will be having a retainer. What my Orthodontist said was that I will have to wear the retainer for a good couple of years.

i had my brace off in august 07 and my dentist told me to wear my retainer full time for 3 months, then just at night for 3 months. she also told me that after my treatment is finished, that its recommended that i still wear my retainer. Your teeth may move back if you dont wear it, so it would be best if you wear it for a long time,

For a year after your braces get taken off you'll have to wear your retainer all the time. After that it's just at nights, but you have to wear it for like five years or until you're twenty-one, when your jaw stops growing.

yeah, i just got my braces off today and they told me to always wear my retainer because teeth move and they could go back to the way they were if i dont wear my retainer! sorry!

Source(s): Orthodontist

The orthodontist put in a permanent bottom retainer, and i have to have a removable upper retainer. I asked him when it was okay for me to stop wearing it, and when the bottom one could be removed. He told me that its never going to be removed. But im sorry, i cant see myself at 78 wearing a retainer.

Sorry, but you will have to continue wearing the retainer so that your teeth don't move back to where they were

right now i have braces.it could take more than 6 months 4 some people.like my friend had retainers 4 2 years

forever, but gradually youll have to wear them less. It will come to a point where ull only have to wear them at night a few times a month. Thats what most dentist reccommend. But i havent worn mine for years and teeth are still straight.