Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Is Peanut Butter bad for dogs?

im just curious...is peanut butter bad for dogs?

Update:

i'll be honest the reason i asked is b/c i gave my dog 1 piece of crust from my peanut butter sandwich and then i thought to myself...what if he gets sick b/c i done that?

21 Answers

Relevance
  • hello
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

    Any human food in mass quantities isn't a good thing, but small amounts of peanut butter here and there are just fine--most dogs love it.

    Edit: Don't worry! It's just a small amount, your dog should be fine.

    Editx2: "Helper", you are certainly NOT helping, it is NOT toxic.

  • 1 decade ago

    There are all types of peanut butter flavored treats for dogs, including peanut butter filled bones. Also, when we give our dog her medicine twice daily, we give it to her by sticking it on a dog biscuit with peanut butter. She's taken it that way for about 3 years with no ill effects.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Well, Dogs are scavengers just like humans...so they can eat pretty much anything we give them...including cardboard, glue, and dead mice off the ground. I mean, my father had dogs on his farm and they ate ten day old dead chickens and lived to be a healthy 18 years. But, if you want a healthy happy dog, you should treat them as if they were a human. Humans can eat large quantities of peanut butter, but it isn't necessarily good for them. It can cause stomach problems and ultimately lead to a shorter life. So, use common sense and make it a treat once in a while. I, for example, give my dog peanut butter to distract him when I'm trimming his nails or grooming his fur. He loves the taste and keeps smacking his lips long after the peanut butter is gone. It gives me time to get work done.

    Everything in moderation is fine. Just avoid chocolate and things with too much sugar...as dogs react to chocolate a lot differently than we do. And, of course, sugar is something dogs and humans can indeed tolerate, but should not have a large abundance of it. Also, I would suggest feeding your dog vegetables as often as possible...they aren't purely carnivores. Some fruits are good as well, but like humans, you must limit the sugar intake.

  • 4 years ago

    Hi, I understand that you are looking for some advice or resources to help fully train your dog or fix behavior problems. If a professional dog trainer is not an option at this time, or if you want to trt training your dog on your own (a great way to bond), I'd suggest you https://biturl.im/aU2n5

    A friend recommened it to me a few years ago, and I was amazed how quickly it worked, which is why I recommend it to others. The dog training academy also has as an excellent home training course.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

    You're right that the salt, sugar, and other additives in most peanut butters isn't very good for dogs (people either). I use natural, unsalted peanut butter (e.g. just ground peanuts). My dog loves it stuffed into her Kong.

  • 1 decade ago

    Dogs love peanut butter and it won't hurt them. My vet recommends low fat creamy peanut butter. I mix a little with some plain Cheerios and put it in my dog's Kong toy. She has so much fun with it.

  • 1 decade ago

    Peanut butter is okay, as long as they don't have a bunch of it (that's the way with any human food). Most dogs love it. I use it to give mine medicine (coat the pill in peanut butter and the dog has no clue they're getting medicine).

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Small amounts of peanut butter is fine, most dogs love it. Like any other human food you want to make sure to give it to them in moderation. You may also want to see how the dog reacts to it. If you notice that it made the dog's BMs loose or runny you may want to refrain from feeding it to them.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Im sure that just like people,

    some dogs are allergic to it.

    But Ive heard that a little

    bit is good for them.

    They even have dog toys that

    you fill up with peanut butter

    and the dog chews it.

    :)

  • 1 decade ago

    No peanut butter is fine for dogs, they love it. It's actually good to stuff inside of washable toys so the dog stays entertained in trying to lick it out.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.