What foods have lots of potassium in them besides potatoes and bananas?

I had some blood work done and was told that I have very low levels of potassium. I'm going to take a multi-vitamin. I love baked potatoes but don't like bananas. Does anyone know of other foods with lots of potassium? And also does anyone know if it's dangerous not to have enough potassium in thee system. There is a medical term for the condition but I can't recall it. Anyone with informaton about hiis, THANKS!

Favorite Answer

Apricots, dried

Avocados, raw

Bananas, raw

Beets, cooked

Brussel sprouts, cooked

Cantaloupe

Dates, dry

Figs, dry

Kiwi fruit, raw

Lima beans

Melons, honeydew

Milk, fat free or skim

Nectarines

Orange juice

Oranges

Pears (fresh)

Peanuts dry roasted, unsalted

Potatoes, baked,

Prune juice

Prunes, dried

Raisins

Spinach, cooked

Tomato products, canned sauce

Winter squash

Yogurt plain, skim milk

1

Source(s): Low Potassium Kidneys Diet : http://KidneyDiet.naturallygo.com/?POI

Foods With Lots Of Potassium

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I had some blood work done and was told that I have very low levels of potassium. I'm going to take a multi-vitamin. I love baked potatoes but don't like bananas. Does anyone know of other foods with lots of potassium? And also does anyone know if it's dangerous not to have enough...

Source(s): foods lots potassium potatoes bananas: https://tr.im/zaX8D

Hypokalemia is the medical term and low levels of potassium can effect cardiac function as well as a multitude of other bodily functions.

Try: beets, brussel sprouts, lima beans, prunes, raisins, spinach, squash, tomato products, yogurt.

Don't be too alarmed if your potassium is a few tenths low...you are still ok. A lot of people read too much into lab results and get alarmed if they aren't in the exact normal range but these levels can vary daily and sometimes even hourly. Just keep on top of it and let your doctor know about your concern...he or she will give you some tips.

Rather than take a generic multi, which is not readily absorbed, take a good potassium supliment that is AMINO ACID CHEALETED (pronounced kee-lated). It means that the potassium ion is electro-statically bonded to an amino acid ion. This is the bond that is like when rubbing a balloon on your hair then you stick it on the wall. It is the most highly absorbed form of minerals, next to liquid which tastes like, you guessed it a mouth full of metal.

If you discover that you should need other minerals, especially calcium and magnesium if you are a woman, use this form of minerals. Do some research on the net and inform your self. Doctors surely don't want you to know what you are deficient in because they want you to be sick...if you are well, then they can't rake in the bucks!

Fish (cod, salmon, tuna), other fruits like kiwi, oranges and some melons, tomato juice (I like V-8 myself - a little 5.5 ounce can has over 200mg of potassium), milk, yogurt, nuts... there are actually a lot of foods.

Check your daily vitamin before you buy them. Some have almost no potassium in them. You should also consider a vitamin you take more than once a day, so your body can absorb the nutrients properly. Good luck!

• justme

The other lists are correct. I have low potassium and take a diuretic for my heart and was told oranges and orange juice (and potatoes) are the best sources. I HATE bananas, and they're not the best source. Dried fruits are a good source as well.

Apricots, dried

Avocados, raw

Beets, cooked

Brussel sprouts, cooked

Cantaloupe

Dates, dry

Figs, dry

Kiwi fruit, raw

Lima beans

Melons, honeydew

Milk, fat free or skim

Nectarines

Orange juice

Oranges

Pears (fresh)

Peanuts dry roasted, unsalted

Prune juice

Prunes, dried

Raisins

Spinach, cooked

Tomato products, canned sauce

Winter squash

Yogurt plain, skim milk

ice cream