What is the advantage of using RAID Hard disk? and what is 0,1,etc? Does the HDDs have to be exactly matched?

Can i mix 74GB with 150GB to RAID it? can anyone pls. explain RAID elaborately? thanks

Favorite Answer

Please see link for elaborate info on RAID (it's got pictures :D ) RAID is a balancing act or a starvation economy between capacity, performance, fault tolerance and cost.

RAID0 - striping, max capacity, max performance, no fault tolerance, need minimum 2 drives

RAID1 - mirror, least capacity, moderate performance, best fault tolerance, need minimum 2 drives

RAID 5 - single parity, good capacity, good performance, single drive failure tolerance, need minimum 3 drives.

RAID 6 - double parity, same as RAID 5, but can handle 2 drive failures, need minimum 4 drives.

Generally:

RAID 5 is used to keep data intact as long as possible.

RAID 0 is used for huge throwaway data like movie rendering, etc

<$5,000 Desktop home and office systems probably do not need RAID (this includes gaming rigs, but I know they are performance nuts, haha)

<$30,000 Engineering, film rendering workstations will benefit from RAID

<$3 million Servers will most definitely benefit from RAID

<$600 million Clusters/super computers will probably have RAID as standard

A RAID hard disk a mixed term. RAID is usually associated with 2 or more drives (sometimes 10,000s of them). There are a few drives out there that sell as RAID optimized and such. This where the hard drives controller and cache is optimized to meet the RAID access characteristics. The benefit of these RAID optimized drives are up for debate.

Ideally, you wan the best performance from the RAID volume and not waste anything. So RAID drives are usually identical (preferably those that sat next to each other in the factory). While this is a nice thing to have, it's not necessary

What you can expect from the RAID volume depends on which RAID level you're using with mixed drives. Sometimes you can use all the drive capacities (74+150=224GB JBOD) In other levels, it will go with the smallest drive in the RAID set (74+74Gb of the 150 drive =148 R0,1). Basically, you can use any drive to make RAID, however you'll be sacrificing something.

If you want to play around and experiment with RAID volumes, I recommend linux as it gives you so much flexibility. Windows is limited and time consuming for formatting and stuff. Also, when you play around with RAID, I WILL LOOSE DATA on the RAID volume. So proper planning will be needed. (blasting out 3TB of data by accident at work is no fun. haha)

RAID is such a huge topic, but I hope this helps.

OK, I'll try to explain it. RAID stands for Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks. The advantages of it are speed and redundancy(if one HDD fails you just change it for another)

RAID 0 Stripes the data over both hard drives, giving you a big speed increase but no redundancy.

RAID 1 Mirrors the data on both HDD's, so if 1 fails you just stick in a replacement and you're all set

RAID 0+1 uses 4 HDD's and does both, giving you speed and redundancy.

JBOD stands for Just a Bunch Of Disks, it's a mode that can take more than one hard drive and make one big drive out of them, but there is no gain in speed.

You wouldn't want to do either 0 or 1 without using the exact same hard drive. You could put your 74 and 150 in a JBOD though, but that's pointless.

I'm assuming you have WD raptor hard drives? No offense but if you don't know what RAID is you probably don't need it. those drives are crazy fast anyway.

Hope this helps!

Source(s): me
  • epp

Advantages Of Raid

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): advantage raid hard disk 0 1 hdds matched: https://tr.im/S2uxd

Have you got Norton Protected Recycle Bin? That consistently ate up about 10 gigs on my hard drive because it "saves" all that trash you just might decide you want after all, in six months. The bad thing is that when you uninstall Norton, its little treasure chest of junk is still there and you can't delete it, except with a delete on boot program. I don't know if this is your problem, but it occured to me that it might by why you delete stuff, turn around and it's all still there.

it will run faster as the pc will see it as one hard drive

and heres a guide http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-0.4x-HOWTO.htm...