What is correct way to address royalty?

I am working on a play, so am trying to find these answers out for research purposes.

When addressing a King (in this play, it is King Charles II) what would you say? ie, Your Royal Highness or Your Majesty etc. And how would he be referred to? ie His Royal Highness etc?

Likewise, how you to address or refer to Lords, Ladies, Dukes and Duchesses?

10 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Kings and Queens in the British monarchy bear the style of HM ("His/Her Majesty","Your Majesty").

    Princes and Princesses in the British monarchy bear the style of HRH ("His/Her Royal Highness","Your Royal Highness").

    Dukes and Duchesses in the peerages the United Kingdom bear the style of Grace ("His/Her Grace", "Your Grace").

    Marquesses (Marchionesses), Earls, Countresses, Viscounts (Viscountesses), Barons (Baronesses) in the peerages of the United Kingdom bear the style of Lordship ("His/Her Lordship","Your Lordship").

    Note: The first English king to be styled Majesty was Henry VIII - earlier monarchs had used the form His Grace. Eventually the title became enshrined in law, and it was thus that all of the Kings and Queens of Europe bear the title to this day. Charles II acsended the throne 142 years after Henry VIII, so the styled of "Your Grace" had been abolished and was replaced by "Your Majesty" during Charles II' time.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    It also depends on the familiarity and situation. In the Bahamas, I ran a fishing club with many British owners. Duke Of Marlborough, Duke and Duchess of North Umberland, Sir Chips Keswick, etc etc. Once the initial greetings are done, sir and mam are acceptable, and if given permission, first names even. This only happens usually when in a non-formal atmosphere, and away from any retainers. Keep this in mind for the context of your play.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    For the King, the first greeting is "Your Majesty," thereafter, "sir."

    For a duke, marquis, earl, viscount, or baron who is a member of the royal family, "Your Highness," the first time, with "sir" thereafter. If not a member of the royal family, "your grace," the first time, followed by "sir" thereafter.

    Interesting example:

    When King Edward VIII abdicated in 1936, he was created the Duke of Windsor. His wife, Wallis Simpson, became the Duchess of Windsor (because she was married to him), but King George VI specifically declined to extend the style, "Royal Highness" to her.

    Therefore, the appropriate form of address was "Your Highness" for him and "Your Grace" for her.

    The Duke of Windsor required members of his household to address her as "Your Highness" however, but that was not technically correct.

  • 3 years ago

    Emperor/Empress- Your Imperial Majesty King/Queen- Your Majesty/Your Royal Majesty Prince/Princess- Your Imperial Highness/Your Royal Highness/Your Highness/Your Serene Highness

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    A King or Queen is addressed as "Your Majesty," then "Sir" or "Ma'am." A prince and princess are addressed as "Your Royal Highness" then as "Sir" or "Ma'am." Royal Dukes,Duchesses,Marquesses, and the like are all "Your Royal Higness," then "Sir" or "Madam."

    The non-royal peerage are addressed as:

    Duke/Duchess addressed by title His/Her Grace, the Duke/Duchess of then Lord or Lady--(name of senior peerage title possessed,so if he's Duke of Claremont,he's Lord Claremont). "Your Grace" is used afterwards.

    Earl/Countess first are addressed as The Right Honorable Earl of-- or The Earl of-- or My Lord(Madam is used for the Countess).

    Marquess/Marchioness are "My Lord Marquess"/"My Lady Marquess."

    Viscount/Viscountess are first introduced as "The Right Honorable The Viscount/Viscountess of--" or "The Viscount/Viscountess of--" then "My Lord" or "Madam."

    Baron/Baroness first introduced as "The Right Honorable Lord/Lady" or "The Right Honorable Lord/Baroness."

    Source(s): Miss Manners Guide to the Turn of the Millenium by Judith Martin Webster's Terms of Address Correct Forms of Address at http://www.laura.chinet.com/html/titles12.html
  • 1 decade ago

    I have Royal friends and they told me to address them by their given name and not their title.

  • 1 decade ago

    Rachelle had it all except for one, you also call a King or Queen Your grace, which was the standard title before Henry the eighth.

  • 1 decade ago

    Say Your Royal Highness and Curtsy to them.

    -SS (:Smiling Star:)

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    You alright love?

  • 1 decade ago

    i'd say......how could i serve you, ur royal pain-in-the-****-ness??...hows that??

    monarchy sucks...nobles 2 hell...long live democracy...long live the republic!...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.