Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

Poll: Is it just me?

Do others get upset about mountain climbers or hikers or whatever who get lost and then rescue workers have to risk their lives cause those people are unsafe! I know I am going to catch a whole lot of H*ll for this!

I didn't get as yelled at as I thought. But let me clarify a bit. Those who take the proper care to be safe and get into trouble are not the ones I am talking about. It is the juinor climbers who want to do something extreme and then get into trouble. Yes rescue workers are doing their jobs but they are there for emergencies like avalances etc.

Favorite Answer

I am an avid winter sports participant and so is my entire family.

Whenever we go to the mountain (Mt. Hood, yay! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Hood) we rent GPS transmitters just in case we get lost for some weird reason....that way we could be found so easily and there would be very little cost for anyone involved to find us.

I get irritated that other people don't take this cost efficient and cheap precaution. It is irresponsible to do anything else.

Frankly, if the people are found alive and no GPS was involved...meaning that a whole crew had to search...they should be held responsible for the charges to find them....not the common taxpayer.

People who do otherwise give us responsible winter sports nuts a bad name!!!

But I must say that those rescue workers have chosen their profession voluntarily and they know the risks involved...just like police and firefighters....it is the financial costs that I find upsetting!

Uh, no. The hikers and climbers knew they were doing something dangerous, and the people who go into the rescue business also know that they are doing something dangerous. It's risk on everybody's part, and they all know what they're getting into. I don't know about you, but I'd figure that if I was gonna do rescue work I might die. o.O If it's a guaranteed risk on all sides, and everybody knows it, why would it be something to get upset about? Freedom of choice. If the rescue workers didn't wanna get hurt, they could've picked a different job.

Here's my answer:

When the mega-snow storm was about to come into the Pacific Northwest... I said to my wife (and I apologize, for the retrospect of people actually losing their lives, of course): "how many azzholes are going to get lost & die hiking...?". Because, so many people are so STUPID -- and take risks, for fun... that here I knew about that storm ON THE EAST COAST and I'm sure they had days of over a week to prepare... and went there, and went out specifically to thumb their nose at Mother Nature.

Anyone who risks their lives, and that of their children -- should be made to PAY expenses, or at least some sort of criminal FINE for putting the lives of the Rescue Workers in peril... and why not? there's nothing innocent about it, no accident that they are THERE. Unless they live there, there's no reason to GO and wander around -- especially when a storm is coming... AND wtf is the park & roadways doing BEING OPEN? Why not lock the region down, to all BUT emergency vehicles? People can't control themselves, they need to be treated like children... complete with punishment.

I concur. If people are going to hike or climb a mountain then I think they should make sure they know the risk and have a set plan & stick to it, no wandering. They should talk to other people that have done the adventure before and take advice and plan their course according to theirs, if those people didn't get lost then you prolly won't either! I'm an emt and run on a fire dept and I know some people that would get pretty ticked off if this kept happening and we had to risk our own lives constantly for stupid people that don't know what they are doing and have no business out there. Looks like I'll prolly catch a lot of H*ll too

It REALLY gets under my skin!!! I grew up in a really small town in the mountains in California. All through the year, there are search and rescue helicopters and teams in orange suits searching for these dumbaSses. You can see them searching the mountain from my front yard sometimes.

And, then watching search and rescue things on tv... crashing helicopters... avalanches... these heroes are dying because of climbers selfishness and stupidity. If we were meant to be up there on those mountains, God would have given us wings!

I don't get too upset about that. They did not do anything intentional to risk the rescue workers lives.

I HATE arsonists because they DO intentionally do something that risks others lives!!!

However, I do feel awful when I hear a rescue worker has been injured or killed!!! EVERYDAY HEROS!!!!

No it's me too and I actually do that kind of work. I get so annoyed when people just wander off not knowing where they are going and what they are doing and then I get to go find them. And no we do NOT get paid well but yes we did choose to do this. Just do us all a favor before heading up that mountain or along that trail or into that water LET SOMEONE KNOW so we have a chance of finding you alive. My dogs get depressed alway's looking for cadavers.

• Kim

Yikes - you ARE brave to ask this...

I am from Alaska - so many tourists were getting themselves in dire straits requiring rescue resulting in wasted money and endangered lives, that the authorities began discussing charging them a fee for not following posted warnings and then requiring rescue. Makes some sense, no?

No, it's not just you.

The rescuers have to use valuable time, energy and resources and sometimes risk their lives because of some thrill seeker. It has always aggravated me that people are so selfish as to purposely put themselves in life endangering situations, then ask to be rescued when they get into trouble.

not JUST you. probably bothers some other people as well.

but as for me - it doesn't bother me!

rescue workers knows that almost every intervention they will have to do will risk their life. they choosed their job.

probably some of them like the thrill just the hikers do.

i understand ur point. its very stupid when go hiking unsafe.