Arthritis pain. On strong drugs + painkillers...?

Hi all,

First of all I have Psoriatic Arthritis, which is very similar to Rheumatoid but Psoriatic is more aggressive. I'm 26 and have arthritis all over my body. I'm under hospital treatment and take an ex-cancer drug (Methotrexate) but have been switched to Enbrel now.

I'm having problems with pain management. I take a higher dose Cocodamol at the moment with the highest dose of Diclofenac but it's not working. I'm in a lot of pain. They are tying to put me up to a different painkiller but I have problems with my liver acting up when they made my painkillers stronger last time.

I don't know what to do as it's so hard coping in pain all the time, but then having liver problems when they make them stronger. How do you cope? Have you found a certain painkiller to be wonderful? If so, please could you tell me the name of it and what dose you are on. Thank you.

spyrogirlkim - I'm sorry to hear of your illness. Best of luck hun.

Rev TL - I'm not being a walking experiment, I'm just doing what my Rhumotologist says, after all it is the NHS I have no options.

dbiebel@sbcglobal.net - Thanks but I eat very healthily now as it is.

gillianprowe - My skin condition is fine, the MTX is controlling that, if I stop it, it comes back. When I say arthritis all over body I mean I have it almost everywhere. Back, neck, elbows, fingers, wrists, knees, hips, toes. I'm pretty close to having a wheelchair too, I'm in a disability changed home. I know what Psoriatic arthritis is, just not enough characters to describe everything. I was diagnosed at 13 but everything went downhill after having my children. I went from a horseriding person to stuck in chair 90% of the time and very fast too! The doctor at the hosp says they not inflammed but damage has been left and they still hurt a lot. As for the diclo I take max dose (150mg) I said max dose in orig post.

Favorite Answer

Both drugs, the Co Codamol which is high in Acetaminophen, re; very hard on the liver ~~and Diclofenac, a non-Steroidal Anti-Inflamatory both have strong liver damage warnings on them. You should probably be switched to a narcotic pain killer...these drugs that you are on are mostly prescribed for mild pain...you might want to go up to hydrocodone(less use of Acetaminophen is very important), but remember that if you have an addictive type personality, you're placing yourself at risk for a mental addiction. On the other hand, your pain needs to be treated so that you may function in life...maybe even a pain management program. Doses range differently with everyone, their weight, etc. so you can't depend on anothers experience...best to seek a medical professionals help so that you are not harmed...My BEST to YOU...Hugs~Hope and Health

Imagine for a moment your arthritis completely vanishing right now.

If, in a moment, your pain and stiffness melted away. And your joints all of a sudden functioned like a well-oiled machine.

Like a magic wand was waived, you'd be able to jump up from your chair and run around the room like a kid.

And imagine that you'd never have to suffer as much as a pinch of arthritis stiffness or pain ever again.

I know this sounds impossible right now, but bear with me, because sometimes miracles happen.

It was a gift from a woman on the other side of the world. From the kindness of her heart, she took pity on my suffering and taught me how to completely reverse my arthritis.

Today, I want to do the same for you!

Sorry but it is the other way around, Rheumatoid is the aggressive form. I have Psoriasis and was originally diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis at 29. Come 34 I was flat on my back in Hospital, unable to walk and then they realized I tested positive to the Rheumatoid Factor, so I am odd. Very few will have Psoriasis and Rheumatoid Arthritis. I am just 49 and have already been measured for an electric wheelchair.

Initially you do not state how your skin condition is? Is it under control? Not sure what you means by 'arthritis all over your body?' Psoriatic Arthritis usually starts in one joint:

Psoriatic arthritis is a chronic disease characterized by inflammation of the skin (psoriasis) and joints (arthritis). Psoriasis is a common skin condition affecting 2% of the Caucasian population in the United States. It features patchy, raised, red areas of skin inflammation with scaling. Psoriasis often affects the tips of the elbows and knees, the scalp, the navel, and around the genital areas or anus. Approximately 10% of patients who have psoriasis also develop an associated inflammation of their joints. Patients who have inflammatory arthritis and psoriasis are diagnosed as having psoriatic arthritis.

The onset of psoriatic arthritis generally occurs in the fourth and fifth decades of life. Males and females are affected equally. The skin disease (psoriasis) and the joint disease (arthritis) often appear separately. In fact, the skin disease precedes the arthritis in nearly 80% of patients. The arthritis may precede the psoriasis in up to 15% of patients. In some patients, the diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis can be difficult if the arthritis precedes psoriasis by many years. In fact, some patients have had arthritis for over twenty years before psoriasis eventually appears! Conversely, patients can have psoriasis for over 20 years prior to development of arthritis, leading to the ultimate diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis.

In most patients, the psoriasis precedes the arthritis by months to years. The arthritis frequently involve the knees, ankles, and joints in the feet. Usually, only a few joints are inflamed at a time. The inflamed joints become painful, swollen, hot, and red. Sometimes, joint inflammation in the fingers or toes can cause swelling of the entire digit, giving them the appearance of a "sausage." Joint stiffness is common, and is typically worse early in the morning. Other blood tests such as rheumatoid factor are obtained to exclude rheumatoid arthritis!

Methotrexate and Enbrel are both given primarily to treat the Psoriasis. By it's nature the skin will flare followed by the joints, then you go into remission. You do not state what dose of Diclofenac you are on, I have been on 150mgs dual release since 1989 and have no liver problems, or kidney problems and it works for me. However with over 100 different types of anti-inflammatory drugs available, you need to change until you find the one that suits you. Likewise due to the fact you have been diagnosed and received treatment, you should be under a Dermatologist and a Rheumatologist. These are the spcialists who deal with Psoriatic Arthritis and they will be able to prescribe pain killers, if they consider the Patient need them. Good Luck

Have you tried the nutritional method, feed your body the proper phytonutrients to help it heal itself?

I know many people that were in pain and after drinking MonaVie Active juice, have felt much better over time, and most are pain free. Some have felt better in a week and some took as long as 3 months, but most are feeling great overall. Just another option from the pills, and you may help your liver and other organs at the same time.

http://www.mymonavie.com/anewlife

One old remedy is to sting yourself with stinging nettles if you live near them. Have you tried wearing copper? I sell an awful lot of copper bracelets to people with arthritis. The only people who have ever said it doesn't work have been people who claim not to believe in superstition. I've heard that magnets don't work, but some think they do.

Have you ever thought that perhaps the "Playing around with drugs/being a walking drug experiment" might make it worse?

I have lots of spinal tumors and am in pain all the time,at times I can't walk due to sever pain.I am on no painkillers cause doctors wanted to study my RARE condition instead of help me.I use prayer and my kids/grandbaby to get me through.The only thing that will help my pain is DEATH and I just aint ready yet so I guess faith/love keep me going.I hope you do find help myself I lost all hope in doctors.

• Paige

It depends on how long you have been on them. Painkillers are notoriously addictive. If you can handle the pain or control it with something less addictive (like motrin or ibuprofen) that should be your goal. If you don't give the medicine a chance to wear off how will you know that you didn't actually need it anymore. I think after a few days you should be ok. If you were really in pain it would probably come back way before you were allowed to take your next dose of painkiller. If you are wondering if you need it anymore, you probably don't. If the pain is not going away then you should probably call your oral surgeon because you might have an infection or something. I remember when I had my c-section I was in so much pain the first day that they put me on a morphine drip. The patient controls the dosage, but you can't dose yourself more frequently than every 15 minutes. I was pressing the button constantly even though I couldn't get any more medication for 15 minutes (that's how much pain I was in). But the next day they took out the drip and motrin was enough to take care of the pain (which was by then serious discomfort). Good luck.

weed (marijuana), i know that some people say its bad but trust me it will make the pain stop for at least a little while and make you fell better.