NoEgo asked in TravelAsia PacificChina · 1 decade ago

Question about Mao Tse Tong?

Was he really a great guy?

Everyone in China seems to be treating the guy like a God.

I must admit I'm completely ignorant about him.

Could anyone fill me in in simple terms?

Favorite Answer

First of all, his name is now written Mao Zedong. Mao won led to Communists to win the civil war against the Nationalists in 1949. The Nationalists went to Taiwan and are still there. They certainly weren't democratically elected! China's one year of democracy was 1912: it was full of corruption and most of the candidates were assassinated. As Communist China was such a new country, it meant its leaders had to experiment and used the USSR as an example. Many 'five-year plans' were introduced like the Land and Marriage Reforms, the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution. The thing that stands out in Western minds is the amount of people who died under Mao's rule. In fact, most of these were due to famine in the Great Leap Forward (GLF) NOT the Cultural Revolution. About 40 million people died in the GLF. However, China under Mao saw a population explosion and consistency in a country that had seen 30 years' of upheaval. I think the true Chinese 'God' is Deng Xiaoping - he implemented the open door policy of the early 1980s and made China the place it is today.

I wouldn't agree that eveyone in China treats Mao like a God. Certainly a lot of the younger generation, such as students, whose parents or grandparents suffered during/after the famine and cultural revolution do not speak positively of Mao.

Most of my students who I have discussed Mao usually say something about "60% good 40% bad" rather than saying he is God. In fact, when we were discussing "Chinese heroes" in class, more said Deng Xiaoping than Mao.

I would also certainly dispute the idea that all of Mao's wrongdoings were the fault of his wife. She was by no means a pleasant woman but Mao was not her puppet.

If you wish to read an account of Mao which wholeheartedly disagrees with the idea that he was a God, may I suggest you pick up a copy of Jung Chang's biography. Naturally, this is banned in China but you can buy it in Hong Kong and some book shops in Beijing.

To be honest ,he is a great man.

Although ,he had made some mistake in his elder age. That because the four-team faction cheated him, the head of the four-team faction was his wife. At the end ,he want end the culture revolution,but at that time he couldn't do anything about it.

It can be say ,no mao,no new china. He lead the whole china to strong. He lead the army to drive out the Japaniese army from China. He made the great many things to china.

Besides ,he was a great politician ,strategist and writer! His poems are full of energy and courage.

"Everyone in China seems to be treating the guy like a God."

Ha ha. I am not so sure. For the few times that I traveled to China. No body mentioned about him and I haven't seen any portriat of him yet. I must admit I haven't been to Beijing though.

I think today his images are being used as 'icon' to 'trick' tourists where the Chinese locals probably careless.

He is the person who actually introduce communist party into China in the 1920s amongst others. He led the party to an atrocious victory against the KMT (Kuomingtang) in 1949 to led the party to rule China and the KMT escaped to Taiwan. He improved the standard of living in China during the 1950s, especially in the village side by introducing education and simplified the Chinese way of writing into Simplified Chinese during the mid 1950s. He later led the party into Cultural Revolution, which makes what China is today. He died in 1976 at the age of 83 and his funeral is a grand one, according to my grandfather.

I think he makes China what it is today that many Chinese in China and abroad treat him like god. He is really quite a good guy and really cares for the common people. If not him, there will not be the present China and China may not prosper without him.

Source(s): My grandfather knows quite a lot about him, unluckily he died 2005 at the age of 89 without telling me about him. So sad.

He is when he brought the cultural revolution however you gotta also treat it like the holocaust. Anybody during that time who spoke against them would have been put into concentration camps. Women were raped and elderly were murdered. Those who loved him and don't know why, were left alone. Some went into high ranks and class just by showing love for him. Even as a child, you grow up to say you love him when you don't. I read about this little girl who was brain washed in school to say she loves mao and that she is a child of mao. However, the teacher publicly punished her by saying she's not a child of mao just because her parents spoke against communism. She grew up in proverty. Couldn't even afford to buy crayons. Her principal bought her crayons. A teacher reported the principal and troops took it as an act against mao because she's helping a traitor's daughter. They beated the principal up to death. the But if you take into account that it brought trade to China, it boosted their economy and opened ports to the world.

• dee

The Obama's declare they have not have been given any understanding of the embellishes adorning the Christmas Tree interior the Blue Room of the White domicile. that is composed of the ornament of Mount Rushmore with Obama's face added. Yeah, i've got self assurance that (sarcasm inserted here)!

Well, he took over China. The democratic elected government fled to Taiwan, where it stays today.

He killed millions of people over the time he was the Communist dictator. He subjugated his people to the dark ages for 40 years in the process.

The present Communist government is the same, it just tries to have Capitalism without the personal freedom.

Sounds like a great guy to me (insert sarcasm here).

He killed thousands of people in China. Was he "great"? Well, he was a "great" leader, was he a kind one, then the answer is no.

Lots of murderers were "great" in the past, even Hitler was "great", but we all know what he did during 1939-1945.

He was a party animal who was the life of the party all over China. Oh, the Communist Party.