What Stephen King short stories would you recommend?

Only recommend stories from Night Shift, Skeleton Crew, or Nightmares and Dreamscapes please. I have read all the rest of his short stories and a few from these volumes, but I would like to read more. Also, (optional) why would you recommend them? I always like to know how people feel about King's works.

I have already read:

The Mist

Children of the Corn

The Monkey

Here There Be Tygers

and a few others

I already read Everything's Eventual and 1408 was in there, and the Bachman books are not short stories. While I do own the book, I plan on reading those over the summer. Please, only Night Shift, Skeleton Crew, or Nightmares and Dreamscapes short stories.

Thank you Veev and Ruth C, you are the only 2 who have recommended out of the volumes listed.

• Best Answer

Here are my favorites...

Skeleton crew:

The Jaunt

The Raft

Word processor of the gods

Survivor Type < The Best!!

The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet

Night Shift:

Quitters Inc.

Nightmares & Dreamscapes:

Dolan's Cadillac

Popsy

Sneakers

You Know They Got A Hell Of A Band

Rainy Season

The Ten O'Clock People

You don't have to read all of these, but I gaurantee you'll love the ones you do!!

=)

Source(s): My Stephen King book collection...

Of his short story works I've only read "Night Shift" and "Nightmares and Dreamscapes" these are my favorite stories from these books:

Jerusalem's Lot

The Boogeyman

Sometimes They Come Back

The Last Rung on the Ladder

The End of the Whole Mess

My Pretty Pony

Umney's Last Case

and...

Everything in "Hearts in Atlantis" it's 5 stories that are all connected by the characters. I highly reccomend it.

Why not just read the short story books (Everything's Eventual, Skeleton Crew, N & D) in their entirety?? The stories are mostly really good in all 3. I would highly recommend getting "4 past midnight" also, the stories are a little longer (100-150 pg), but all 4 are fascinating. As for the other 3, my faves were:

Apt pupil

Bogeyman

1408

Road Virus

Mangler

The Bachman Books, a collection of Stephen King short stories under a differenty pen name. I especially liked the "The Long Walk" story.

• jonz4

Read King's novella, The Body: Fall From Innocence. The movie Stand By Me was based on this book.

• deb

1408

From Night Shift:

The Boogeyman (I like the twist at the end)

The Lawnmower Man (It's a funny story)

Jerusalem's Lot (One of the first stories that actually scared me a bit)

The Mangler (Hmm, I don't know but i liked it.)

you should get the bachman books..he wrote these before he became famous. this series of 4 stories includes "running man" which was the movie that arnold schwarzenegger was in.

I love a story called Blind Willie in Hearts in Atlantis. The actual Hearts in Atlantis story is good. too. Pax-C

• Ruth C

the last rung on the ladder.