who knows something about joni mitchell?

I have to do a big assignment on her and I don't know a think. well I know she sings that parking lot song (big yellow taxi).

so any facts would be amazing. don't post a huge paragraph that you pasted from some random site, I wont read it! Also, apparently she went "Jazz" for a bit? which songs particularly were jazz? What genre of music does she play/sing?

THANK-YOU times a million :)

Favorite Answer

Joni Mitchell is probably my favorite female singer/songwriter of all time!

Her music has always been folkish with a jazzy twist on it. "Mingus" was her most Jazz influenced album, written using music composed by jazz legend Charles Mingus with lyrics that he asked Joni to write.

I recall an interview of Joni years ago where she said that she had never had any formal training in music. She just listened and played and learned from other musicians. That is probably why she has always had such unconventional elements in her music, from rhythms and odd chord progressions to unique vocalizations. It all adds up to the unique genius of Joni Mitchell, IMO.

Note: she didn't die in 1970 of a drug overdose - that person is probably thinking of Janis Joplin.

I figure you're going to get a bunch of different bits about Joni from everyone, so I'll just tell you what I know.

Joni wrote and sang "Woodstock," one of the seminal anthems of the 60s, a very serious song with just her singing and an organ--no drums, no bass, no guitar. It's about 6 minutes long. The chorus goes, "We are stardust, we are golden, and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden." It's very moving. It sounds a lot better than this description, I'm sure.

It's better than the Big Yellow Taxi song, which is about the People's Park in CA that Ronald Reagan ordered bulldozed (he was the governor of California at the time) and cordoned off with a fence. Hence, the long-term animosity between Reagan and the hippie baby-boomers.

Joni Mitchell, CC (born Roberta Joan Anderson on November 7, 1943) is a Canadian musician, songwriter, and painter.[8]

Mitchell's singing began in small nightclubs and busking on the streets of Toronto and in her native Western Canada. She subsequently became associated with the burgeoning folk music scene of the mid-1960s in New York City. Mitchell achieved fame in the late 1960s and was considered a key part of the Southern California folk rock scene. Throughout the 1970s, she explored and combined the pop and jazz genres. Mitchell has amassed a body of work that is highly respected by both critics and fellow musicians.[1]

Mitchell is also an accomplished visual artist. She has, through photography or painting, created the artwork for each of her albums and, in 2000, in an interview with the Toronto Globe and Mail, described herself as a "painter derailed by circumstance". A blunt critic of the music industry, Mitchell had stopped recording over the last several years, focusing mainly on her visual art, but in 2007 released Shine, her first album of new songs in nine years.

Ah Joni Mitchell.

She was instrumental during the sixties with her melodic lyrics. Such songs as "Help Me I Think I'm Falling In Love Too Fast," and as you mentioned Big Yellow Taxi.

she came onto the scene as an adult contemproary artist singing protest type songs, but not really having a lot to protest.

I like her singing because it's soft and easy to listen to and enjoy.

I bought her Jazz Album "Mingus" (1980 or 1981 if memory serves me). The album was her adding lyrics and singing to some old jazz standards originally made famous by the jazz band leader/composer Charlie Mingus. I loved the disc so much that I named my new cat "Mingus" in his honour.

Mingus also wrote some new music for Joni to perform on this disc.

She is considered one of the greatest lyric writers, and has influenced pretty much everyone, including Madonna,Sarah McLachlan, and the Counting Crows.

She was inspired to become a songwriter when she heard the Bob Dylan song, "Hard Rain's Gonna Fall"

Has been called, "The female Bob Dylan" but doesnt' like that title, because they would never call anyone "The male Joni Mitchell"

She uses a multitude of alternate guitar tunings when writing her songs instead of just using "Standard" tuning, like most people.

She went to college to become a painter, and I think that's her primary passion but she got derailed into songwriting or something, but as of now paints pretty much more than she does music, as she stated she can't write about "rich people's problems."

Joni Mitchell is AWESOME

Check out an album called 'Blue' its the best in my opinion. Just Joni and her guitar - really great stuff.

The 'Jazz' i think you are referring to is when she hooked up with Jaco Pastorius on some later albums - He was in the band 'Weather report' and was arguably the greatest bass player to ever live.

What a great assignment!

Robert Plant (lead singer of Led Zeppelin) had a huge crush on her, and its rumored the zep song 'going to california' is about Joni. she's Canadian, uh she rocks pretty hard, huge part of the folk movement in the late 60's early 70's.

• Helena

She sang a song about destroying an arcade and put up a parking lot. I liked her singing.

She was inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame in 1997.

Genre: Folk, Jazz/Pop

She went from Folk to Jazz Pop around 1976.

Hejira, which appeared in 1976, is regarded as Mitchell’s masterpiece. The title is an Arabic word meaning “flight from the dream,” and the album was a uniquely textured and exploratory song cycle that traced one woman’s mystical “hejira” through this world.

See below link

http://www.rockhall.com/inductee/joni-mitchell

Joni Mitchell

Induction Year: 1997

Induction Category: Performer

"Inductee: Joni Mitchell (vocals, guitar; born November 7, 1943)

A consummate artist, Joni Mitchell is an accomplished musician, songwriter, poet and painter. Hailing from Canada, where she performed as a folksinger as far back as 1962, she found her niche on the same Southern California singer/songwriter scene of the late Sixties and early Seventies that germinated such kindred spirits as Jackson Browne, Warren Zevon and Crosby, Stills & Nash. Mitchell’s artistry goes well beyond folksinging to incorporate elements of jazz and classical music. In her own words, “I looked like a folksinger, even though the moment I began to write, my music was not folk music. It was something else that had elements of romantic classicism to it.” Impossible to categorize, Mitchell has doggedly pursued avenues of self-expression, heedless of commercial outcomes. Nonetheless, she managed to connect with a mass audience in the mid-Seventies when a series of albums-Court and Spark (1974, #2), Miles of Aisles (1974, #2), The Hissing of Summer Lawns (1975, #4) and Hejira (1976, #13)-established her as one of that decade’s pre-eminent artists.

Mitchell was born Roberta Joan Anderson in remote northwest Canada. She was raised in the city of Saskatoon, where she took up painting and music at an early age. Her first song, “Day by Day,” was written in 1964 while she was en route to a folk festival in Toronto. She moved to Toronto a year later, where she got caught up in the city’s flourishing club scene. In 1965, she married folksinger Chuck Mitchell, keeping his last name after they divorced. Mitchell’s songs were discovered, performed and recorded by such established folk musicians as Tom Rush, Ian and Sylvia, Judy Collins (whose version of “Both Sides Now” went to #8 in 1968), Dave Van Ronk and Buffy Saint-Marie. British folk-rockers Fairport Convention cut some of her earliest material as well.

Mitchell was signed to Reprise Records in 1967, and her untitled first album appeared a year later. It was followed by Clouds, which included Mitchell’s versions of “Both Sides Now” and “Chelsea Morning,” and Ladies of the Canyon, which contained “Big Yellow Taxi,” an anti-"progress" ditty that stands as one of Mitchell’s signature tunes. Her fourth album, 1971’s Blue, was a stunning a suite of songs about romantic disillusionment that stands as a classic in the confessional singer/songwriter mode. Mitchell’s popular breakthrough came two albums later with Court and Spark, a sprightly and intelligent jazz-pop album made with musical support from the jazz-fusion ensemble Tom Scott and the L.A. Express. Both experimental and accessible, Mitchell’s mid-Seventies output won her a large following. Hejira, which appeared in 1976, is regarded as Mitchell’s masterpiece. The title is an Arabic word meaning “flight from the dream,” and the album was a uniquely textured and exploratory song cycle that traced one woman’s mystical “hejira” through this world.

From the beginning, Mitchell played guitar in different tunings to compensate for the fact her left hand had been left weakened by a childhood bout with polio. As a result, her chord shapes, combined with the meandering meters of her more fanciful compositions, tend to resemble jazz more than standard folk or rock. Her associations with the likes of Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Tom Scott, Jaco Pastorius and Charles Mingus have resulted in some of her most ambitious work. Mitchell continued to record allusive, jazz-tinged material, studded with personal revelations and socio-political commentary, throughout the Eighties and Nineties. At the same time she’s pursued painting with nearly the same commitment. Mitchell’s artwork adorns some of her album covers, such as the Van Gogh-inspired self-portrait on 1994’s Turbulent Indigo.

Mitchell kicked off the new millennium with Both Sides Now, an orchestrated album of torch songs by other songwriters and herself. In a sense, it brought her career full circle, since the title song was one of the very first she wrote while still a fledgling musician back in the mid-Sixties