What do they call Baking Soda here in Germany?

I need it for something I´m cooking, and don´t know where to buy it!

Update:

Backpulver is Baking Powder, and there is a difference between Soda and Powder!!!

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

As you correctly point out, baking soda is not the same as baking powder.

Baking Powder is "Backpulver" in German.

Baking Soda is "Speisesoda", 'Backsoda" or "Speisenatron". It is usually sold under the following brand names: "KaiserNatron®" oder "Bullrich-Salz®".

Hope that helps,

Steve

• vaden
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Baking Soda In German

• 3 years ago

Munich is a large town with: restaurant, nightlife and accommodation entries, with hotelbye , you could have a look. Munich is the capital town of Bavaria and the third-most populous town in Germany. For generations the seat of the Dukes, Electors, and Kings of Bavaria, the Munich Residenz is without question certainly one of Europe's many spectacular palaces. Organized around seven big courts, the vast resident complex comprises three principal parts: the Königsbau, fronting into Max-Joseph-Platz; the Alte Residenz, facing Residenzstrasse; and the Festsaalbau (Banqueting Hall) overlooking the Hofgarten. The first part with this big complex to be developed was the superb Antiquarium, integrated 1579 and today area of the outstanding Residenz Museum. Munich is really a city with a lot of history, make sure to investigate it whole.

• 4 years ago

Also if you cannot find it as baking ingredient, most European based delis and grocery stores sell "Ammonium Bi-Carbonate", I use it in cake and pastrys, I get it in Toronto in the Ploish neigbourhood on Ronsenvelles, it is kept in the area where they sell the flavouring and package yeast, baking powder, vannilin sugar and the concentrated flavourings. I am a former chef here in Canada, with the Ammonium it is used very sparingly, only a 1/4 tsp in the water you use to dissolve the yeast to make the dough, ordinary baking soda will also due.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

You can also find KaiserNatron (baking soda) at Rossman and DM stores.

Additionally, Arm & Hammer baking soda is at many Asian supermarkets.

Off topic...if anyone is ever looking for Coleman fuel (white gas) for camping stoves while in Germany, it is sold in DM stores as "reinigungsbenzin"...come in a white bottle

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's called Natron and you can find it in the baking section where they have the little packets of yeast, vanilla sugar and all that stuff. I've never seen a German recipe calling for baking soda, but I need it often when using American recipes. You can get it at any of the larger supermarkets, like toom or real.

• 1 decade ago

Yes Baking Powder (Backpulver) was an invention by Dr oetker of Germany. Smile ... germans love it. Many stores carry Natron, though it is not something Germans would buy. They love this Dr Oetker stuff.

• 5 years ago

Hi

anyone know if Soda Chrystals are available in Germany or a similar stuff for washing?

• pinata
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Hey Breezer,

do you have a new hair cut?

Breezer, we don't use backing soda we only use yeast, sourdough, Hirschhornsalz (amonium carbonate)( a little dangerous but you need it for special christmas cakes) and BACKPULVER.

Greetings from Hamburg, Germany

Heinz

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.