If my blood platelets are in the normal range does that mean that I'm still at risk for having factor 5?

Factor 5 blood disorder is a blood clotting disorder and my mom has it so I am getting tested. I had my blood tested a few months ago at my preconception visit and my blood platelets were normal. Does that mean I'm not at risk?

Favorite Answer

Platelets are a completely separate entity from factors. Platelets are the cells in your blood that physically adhere to each other to form the clot.

Factors are blood proteins that collectively react with each other to begin the clotting process. It's known as the "coagulation cascade" If any one of these 12 factors are defective or missing, the chain of reactions is interrupted and the blood will fail to clot. A normal platelet level is therefore irrelevant in determining your factor 5 status. Unfortunately, you are going to have to wait for the results to come back to see if you are deficient in factor five.