Spinal Tap?

is the movie 'This is Spinal Tap' no longer representative of the rock experience? Has it been too long since its release?

watching it the other day, my 18 y.o. son fell asleep (right around at 'ello, Cleveland!). mortality doth approacheth...

• Smiley
    Best Answer

I still love it, along with The Rutles 'All You Need Is A Cash'... Two of the best satires ever!

I think the team of Rob Reiner and Christopher Guest should reunite and make an EMO satire to please many of the younger kids of today, then again maybe not...they might take it literally!

Raymond, you're an old timer like me...did you know the keyboard player in the movie 'Viv Savage' was none other than David Kaffinetti from the early 70's prog band 'Rare Bird'?

Also note one of Atomic Roosters drummers Rick Parnell. He played the two twin brothers Ric and Mick Shrimpton who spontaneously combust in the movie!

Then when When Spinal Tap reform and play live, Rick Parnell is on drums once again as Ric and Mick Shrimpton's unnamed cousin!

Spinal Tap had real progressive rock connections...who would have thought?

Great film, though when showing it to my nephew a few years ago he said, "this is so lame!" I still think it might appeal to some of the younger people of today that really enjoy bands like Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, or other 70s/80s icons.

I'm 18 years old, and I've loved that movie for so long...my parents who like the same kind of music (anything rock) don't like the movie at all, and my dad will be 50 this month. Some parts of it are really true like how so many bands go through tons of drummers. I've heard so many interviews with people like Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden) and Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath) talk about their own 'spinal tap' moments and laugh.

That movie is classic. It is down right hilarious to it's dry British humor and rock theatrics of becoming a famous metal band. For some reason, the newer generation seems to find "Big Mommas House" funny.

I don't think so. I showed it to my 17 y.o. cousin, and he couldn't stop laughing. His favorite part was Stonehenge.

I think the whole Mockumentary is lost on the younger generation these days. Borat was close to bringin' it back, but didn't quite do it.

Now, teenagers only seem to respond to the stupidest of comedy. Otherwise, I can't explain the success of Scary Movie, Date Movie, Epic Movie....whatever other lame movie.

No. Today's "rock stars" are a parody enough themselves where they don't need a Spinal Tap moment. They do not put on elaborate staging and costume images.

I have grown friends who were bored by that movie. I love it, but it's soft satire, and it's not blunt enough for everyone's taste.

And yeah, it also helps to be at least a little familiar with the time and attitude they're lampooning.

• Erika

Does the jonas brother on the left have down syndrome? And why does the single interior the middle seem puerto rican while the others do no longer?! wager their mom replaced into napping around....