Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 decade ago

Southern Man or Sweet Home Alabama?

Of these two famous statement and musical responce songs..

Which do You prefer, and why?

Afternoon Sookie

• Favorite Answer

Hey Darth, Happy Monday to ya!

Tough question. Sweet Home Alabama is a fun loving up beat, easy to enjoy song, where Southern Man is more of a serious mellow song.

Although both songs are obviously phenominal, I'm going with Southern Man. In my opinion this song brought more complexity to the table. The lyrics are deep and they are sung in such a way that you can't help but become personally effected. Neil Young is a geat story teller and he truly captures his audiance. Being able to grab so many fans' attention by using only limited instrumental backing aside from his voice is superb.

If I were to compare Neil Young to Lynyrd Skynyrd as a whole, however, then I would give the points to Skynyrd. Each of their songs take on different musical makeups; meaning they all sound different. They are well put together songs and all include catchy lyrics accompanied by strumming guitar and thumping drums. A majority of Neil Young's songs sound pretty familiar. The messages are stronger but the drive isn't as easily grasped as it is with Skynyrd. I think Neil Young's listenings take a bit more of a preferred taste. You have to pay attention to find the true "gem" so to speak in each song, for his music takes on different levels of intensity ,where Skynyrd's work can be enjoyed on a more simple level.

Like I already stated though, tough question. I'll quit rambling on now. LOL.

well the relationship between them is direct, as i would expect that you know, since sweet home alabama was a response to southern man as well as other neil young songs which criticized the american south at the time

personally i like sweet home alabama, for a number of reasons:

1) a little more my style, just a personal thing there, i was never a huge neil young guy, but lynyrd skynyrd has always been high on my list of favorite bands

2) it was a great way to respond to southern man itself...it was tongue-in-cheek really, they had a little more style and made their opinion known in a little more interesting way, and they certainly knew that the song would cause controversy, and they were willing to accept that

Sweet Home Alabama

Southern Man. I'm a social activist at heart and those types of songs speak to me more. I think there are better Skynyrd songs than Sweet Home Alabama.

I just like the song "Southern Man" better than the other, even tho I like Lynyrd Skynyrd's songs better on an average than Neil Young, I just dont like Sweet Home Alabama, thats all.

Sweet Home Alabama - mainly because they take a cheap shot at Neil Young for that song:

"Well I heard mister Young sing about her

Well, I heard ole Neil put her down

Well, I hope Neil Young will remember

A Southern man don't need him around anyhow"

Most definitely Sweet Home Alabama

- As much as I love the early Neil Young (except Ohio) - He's from Ontario and has no concept of the Deep South - Yes every region of the U.S. has its issues, and the song Southern Man is fine piece of Music, though pales lyrically to the other stuff he wrote at that time.

- ...and I think Skynrd was bold (being less well known) to shoot back him. IMHO

I saw Belle and Sebastian in concert in 2005 in Atlanta at the Fabulous Fox. They are an indie band from Glascow, Scotland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_&_Sebastian

They were going through their setlist reeling off their line-up of music. In the middle of the set I saw 3 or 4 band members huddling up for a bout a minute. They all went back to their stage positions. Some had smiles while others had sinister looks. Then Steve Jackson starts to play the notes to "Sweet Home Alabama."

It was then I knew they were international.

Anyway, true story (20 yrs ago) there was an urban legend in Atlanta that some members of Lynyrd Skynyrd own and lived on this certain property in suburbs of Atlanta. We did not know the address but knew the street and had discovered one address seemed to be secluded. My friend and I went their and parked our car on this country road. We walked up this long driveway that was at least 1/4 mile long through a wooded area that went over a bridge winding it's way up to a clearing. There we saw three pristine houses scattered about a 3 acre area with nice manicured lawns. We were looking around for about 20 min and this bearded guy came out and yelled at us. We took off running all the way to our car. Was this actually the home of members of Lynyrd Skynyrd? I still don't know, but my friend swears that it was Gary Rossington that yelled at us.

.

• Montag

I like "Sweet Home Alabama", but I'm gonna have to go with "Southern Man". Love the song. I even love the vocals. And after I figured out this balance thing on my computer, I managed to hear those guitars too! It's all great. I'm gonna listen to it again!

Sweet Home Alabama, love Lynyrd Skynyrd, plus the song has sweet guitar and the lyrics make me think of the country and im tired of the city