Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Evolution is to intelligent design as astronomy is to astrology?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Almost. Astrology was a belief system that developed alongside the science of astronomy. Intelligent Design was fabricated to counter the overwhelming evidence for and scientific acceptance of evolution.

• 1 decade ago

While I generally agree with this analogy, there's one small flaw (and the same flaw exists with Marc's extension of the analogy). Alchemy and astrology, for all of their fantastical nonsense, actually lead to honest-to-goodness science. Alchemists paved the way for modern-day chemists and astrologers opened the door for serious astronomers. Once chemistry and astronomy became established as sciences, they eventually cast off the trappings of their superstitious births. By way of contrast, the modern theory of evolution owes NOTHING to intelligent design. It is a theory, cut solely from the cloth of reason and not built up by philosophers looking for a way to turn lead into gold. I hope you see my meaning.

Still, if you consider only the MODERN forms of each set of thoughts, it's an apt comparison.

• 1 decade ago

Pretty much. Although, as much as it as a bunch phooey, Astrology at least has lead to some amusing fantasies and a daily newspaper diversion for office workers.

ID is just an uninteresting, vacuous bit of hand-waving.

• gaster
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Alchemy can basically take position in present day situations... Its in basic terms that the elements taken to furnish such an impact (replacing one element into yet another element) thoroughly ruins the purpose of the kind of job. It changed into initially conjured as a lot as expose lead into gold for Kings.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Not really, astrology seeks to tell the future (i think, does it?) using stars. astronomy studies the universe

Evolution and ID both seek to explain the diversity of life, its just evolution has evidence supporting it.

• 1 decade ago

Approximately surrounding the basic,but scientific modification separated them as well.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yep, One of the best comparisons I have seen.

• 1 decade ago

Or as Truth is to Fiction?

• 1 decade ago

Yeah, sounds about right. Or as poker is to tarot.

• 1 decade ago

In a way, yes. ID is a religious crap.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.