Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Who is the greatest Violinist?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

for me it would be Jascha Heifetz - big fan of his!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Best violinist in history was Niccolo Paganini. Most likely there will not be anyone like him in the future either.

Best violinist today is either Itzhak Perlman or Maxim Vengerov, cant decide.

Some of my other favorites are Anne Sophie Mutter and Isaac Stern.

• 1 decade ago

Since you did not say which period, I'm going to go with Paganini. He single-handedly enhanced the technical demands which the modern day violinists have to go by. I would sell my grandmother for that kind of technical prowess!

This is evident in the 24 Etudes of frightening disciplines. Although I confess myself not a very good score reader, what I read whenever I go through those scores make the hair on the back of my neck stand up, and my eyes well up with tears. The perilous octave jumps, the ottava passages - it makes you want to break down (if you're a bad fiddler) and cry (if you realise how beautiful the music really is).

• 1 decade ago

The greatest violinist of all time was Niccolo Paganini.

The greatest violinist of the 20th century was Jascha Heifetz

The greatest living violinist today is Itzhak Perlman.

Other notable violinists living today : Kyung Wha Chung (retired), Sarah Chang , Hilary Hahn and Anne Sophie Mutter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AloBa9SPM7U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueWVV_GnRIA

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Brian forgot a few notable violinists in his answer - so for the sake of completeness I have to add a couple of names for consideration:

Maxim Vengerov

Gil Shaham

• 1 decade ago

I agree completely with the answer given by brian777999.

Hands down.

With no specific time period, Paganini and Heifetz for the win!

<3

• emmA
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Itzhak Perlman

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Paganini

• 1 decade ago

Niccolo Paganini

Hands down.

• J I H
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Stefan Grapelli

• 1 decade ago

Maxim Vengerov & Marat Bisengaliev all the way!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.