Ralph
Lv 7
Ralph asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

William Gibson one of the best sci-fi writers ever?.?

William Gibson, like Asimov, Heinlein, etc is one of the founding fathers of the science fiction genre.

This is the guy who actually coined the phrase "cyber space" and even created him own “cyber punk” sub-genre. Yet so few people (younger genearion) have even heard of him.

Why do so many young readers not look back beyond books published within the last five years when they are missing an enormous amount of the most talented and thought proving writing ever writen.

Update:

Um - one more guestion. Why do people post answers THAT DO NOT answer the question?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

He is one of the founding fathers - along with Neal Stephenson - of the cyberpunk sub-genre. And his work is excellent. Neuromancer ranks up there with Diamond Age as the two best books of the cyber-punk group. Pax-C

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Gibson is too recent to be a "founding father" although he did pen some of the more influential and famous recent science fiction.

His latest books, Pattern Recognition and Spook Country, aren't science-fiction though. Gibson himself has argued that science-fiction is dead, because the future is already here.

Horror and fantasy have become more popular than science-fiction in recent years, because people have less faith in science than they used to.

• 3 years ago

there are a number of solid ones obtainable. the final one i've got discovered replaced into King Fortis the brave by ability of LaMontagne and Snyder. it truly is a pair of pair of twins that are pulled right into a paranormal land the place they locate themselves caught contained in direction of a conflict for administration of the area. The boy twin, Rodney, is incorrect for King Fortis, an Arthur-like parent it rather is to sometime return contained for the time of the land's perfect prefer. that's truly a great e book full of humor and adventure. i prefer to advise it to my scholars all of the time and characteristic had scholars that truly hate to study come back and tell me how a lot they like it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.